16U or 18U??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This year I coached a 16U team in Ohio. All but 2 girls can stay at 16U (both excellent players but i am confident i can replace them). A number of my parents want to move the whole group up to 18U. My first thought is stay 16U...more competition i think and more college coaches at tourneys.

From your experieces should we stay 16U or play the next 3 at 18U. What are the advantages and disadvantages if any.

Have a friend whose daughter plays 16u (1st year at that age level). They stuck to strictly college exposure tourneys during the summer. Hit one tournament where there was a team (18u) that was nothing but college freshmen who were legally able to play 18u, but who had just completed first year of college and were on college teams. Good thing for them, they didn't have to face that team - said they were tough as nails. JMHO, I would stick in the younger bracket and get another year under their belts...Good Luck! :)

Jun 22, 2008
Might want to look at how it will affect the dynamics of the team. Was only 14's, but a team my daughter played on was in same boat. All but 2 players were eligable to stay at 14. Team chose to stay down and let my daughter and the other girl move up. It completely changed the make up of the team and they folded a little over a year later. Coach told me a couple of years later if he had it to do over again he would have just moved the whole team up and kept it together.

Feb 1, 2010
Midwest
I'm in the same boat as far as choosing between 16U and 18U for 2011...8 of 11 on the team can stay at 16U including my DD who would like to play college ball anywhere. Summer of 2011 will likely be the last summer travel season before choosing a school.

Do we play at a very high 16U level, inherently playing a lot more games and be a threat to win some titles, or do we play "up" again at 18U because of college coach traffic. I'm under the impression that a 2012 HS grad will get more college coach exposure playing in 18U tournaments rather than 16U between her junior and senior years. If I'm wrong, then the decision to continue playing 16U next year will get a lot easier.

Thanks for your insights...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In my opinion, more college coaches are at the 16U games, because the really great players at 18U have either signed or committed somewhere.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Just for the heck of it, I looked at 12 teams competing at the 18U ASA Gold. The breakdown by year of graduation of the players:

2010: 56
2011: 82
2012: 32
2013: 15

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
With the new rules this year, you no longer are allowed to field girls that are already committed to a college in 18 Gold. I thought that this was an ASA rule, but it may just be a California showcase tournament specific thing, I'm not sure. Either way, what it means is that 18U is now made up of all those girls who are either already verbally committed to a school, already in school and returning to play for the summer, ect. 18 Gold is where you actually get to see the girls who are trying hard for a scholarship and where the coaches/scouts get to see them.

That said, it seems like your decision should be if you want to stay 16u or go to 18 GOLD, you should avoid 18u unless you need to field 2 teams or for the reasons mentioned above.

I really wish more organizations could commit to the entire age range and field teams from all of them. These kids learn so much more being around older girls then they do from even the best coaches, and having an environment where they can do that is priceless.

-W

Jul 9, 2010
I think it depends upon what graduation year they are. If they area 2012's and 2013's, you're probably fine. If they are 2011's, I think coaches would be looking for them to be playing 18U.

We went to the Sparkler in Colorado this year with a 16U team (DD is 16U eligible, but has been playing 18U for a couple of years). A friend of mine was there with an 18U team. There was no one (coaches) watching the 16U teams, but he said a bunch watching them.

Last - it depends a bit too, I would think , on what the competition in your area looks like at each age group.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Last - it depends a bit too, I would think , on what the competition in your area looks like at each age group.

Best advice on here. Unless your pockets are lined with gold, an able to fly all over the country every weekend to find the absolute best competition. I do know a few 'premier' traveling baseball teams that do this, so there may be a few softball teams also. I'd say they are less then 1% nationwide.

Jun 16, 2010
If you are a good 16U team, and play ASA nationals, major showcases, etc there will be plenty of exposure for the girls, and they will be more competitive at 16U and draw more attention. Why would they want to look bad playing up,unless they are really really good there is no point. Hell, right now Moline is crawling with major college checking out 14Us. If you are a weaker local team, smaller schools will come to see local 18U tournaments looking for girls that are unsigned. In that case, maybe playing up is the right thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG