14U DD swing. Any input appreciated.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
here is a swing from tonight's practice: carley 1 swing 9 5 14 slo mo - YouTube

While the rear leg action is basically the same, not many will see it as such an issue in this swing.

xd7bpt.jpg

It helps that she brings her COM forward and allows her front leg to 'catch' her swing .... as opposed to landing with a stiff elongated front leg.

The swing now resembles more of a deltoid swing drill .... notice the barrel pinned to her rear deltoid below. If this is a temporary experiment, then fine ... but I wouldn't live here as it takes the hands out of the swing and gives her much less than what she is capable of.

1zy8xhd.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The hands are coming forward during the weight shift. I like the lower body better in this swing. It is a longer swing as she allows the hands/bat to collaspe some into the body. It looks smooth because she eases into the swing, creates some slop or dead hands.

You want the lower body to remain the same. She has the hips more infront of the back knee and back foot.

One basic fundamental is the small little game played with rythm/tempo, the swing is like fly fishing. A small change of direction of the hands/bat. With the hands coming forward during the weight shift, you cancel out the change of direction making it a longer swinging action. I does look smooth, but a longer action intead of a quickier swing, stretch/shortening , fly fishing.

There are several things to work all geared at making the swing quickier, shorter, eliminate the slop or the break down in the sequence.

I will say I think she can improve. Looks like she can hit and her swing isn't that far off.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
One change, you want to slightly stretch the lead arm, scap, during the weight shift/stride.. You stretch the front side against a a stable torso.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Perhaps someone can post a side by side of someone like Jeff Kent, who has a low elbow, similar hand starting position, and who doesn't drop the barrel.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That says a thousands words. Another thing is the comparison between the tee and bp swings.

What do we talk about? Does it look like she loses hip coil very early? No signs of forward by turning, being coiled still around toe touch. The lower body drifts into the swing as well.

Do some more filming of tee work and live ball. The swings don't match up well. Which is OK for a really good hitter, not so good for the rest of us.

See if live bp is consistent with this swing.