14U DD swing. Any input appreciated.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Was curious how a hitter would translate the above so I had my DD(top 5% of Her class(disclaimer)so we know She has ability), read the above post and then demonstrate it. She read it then...... She was lost. I said read it again. I told Her I understand what He's saying but I need YOU to understand. She read it again and looked at me with dismay. I asked are you sure you can't translate that into a swing, a movement, a feeling... She said NO. What are WE missing??? Just an FYI

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I filled out an application recently and confidently responded "English and DFPTechHitting" for what languages can you read and write fluently.

Jan 14, 2013
Massachusetts
Wonderful, smooth calm swing.

Just add the lower, and work in all the dynamics of adding a lower half.

Then it would be nice to see a tee swing at the knee high strike.

Man, nothing to drastic, how has she done in games so far?

And, I agree with fastpitch as a first step, he has suggested a couple of good drills.

thank you mann. i will definitely get her doing those drills. before this year she hit soft fly balls to right, almost consistently. I think she was letting the barrel get past her hands too soon because since we've been working on square-at-impact drills, she's been hitting the ball hard to SS, sometimes line drives, more often ground balls. our TB season ended last month and she became the most consistent hitter on the team. I'd really like to see her add some more power though.

thanks again.

Jan 14, 2013
Massachusetts
JMHO... OP> The back foot should be up on the toe, & or even off the ground @ contact. :cool:

thanks for the reply PC. i tend to think that if she had more "attack" in her swing, that her forward momentum would surely get her back foot on the toe at least. I think i've preached "weight-back" for so long that she resists getting on her front side.

Sep 1, 2014
back foot is duckin and same as my daughter she has a rockin motion for a timein mechanism instead of explodein straight to the ball. That causes a lot of fouls and late to the ball for mine.

A lot of opinions on her but the bottom line is what works for her the rockin is only thing I would change and I cant even do that with my own. good luck

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
.work on the hands back around AS she is moving out
Watch the hitters hands:
HoweMan1.gif

Hitters hands need to keep loading back and around(corner) building up resistance and more separation.
Now watch Kent hands:
29z7t4k.gif

Kent hands 'work' back /load back and around( a corner) AS he moves out, forward momentum, FBC ect.
flowing into pulling with back AND turning barrel against her rear leg turning.
Her leg is turning, her back should be fighting against turning, her hands should be snap turning the barrel into the arch
HoweMan2.gif

Hitter doesn't continue loading hands as she goes forward so does the hands. Needs to keep pulling back against the IR of the rear leg.
29z7t4k.gif

Kent keeps loading his hands as the rear leg IR. Wright is doing what i quoted RHC as saying the hitter above needs to do.
Her leg is turning, her back should be fighting against turning, her hands should be snap turning the barrel into the arch, reaction will happen, the barrel will get whipped into the ball.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
When working w/ my DD's bug squish a few years back, it didn't help her to focus on what her back foot should loo like on contact. The result of that attempt entailed a lunge forward that had head and center of gravity over the front foot at contact. She was on the toe at contact, but still not a good movement. She didn't get ''right'' until she understood how to use her hips.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
RDB, I don't see it anymore…but I saw that your wrote yesterday the something that was the first visible thing I saw. She lands with her front leg locked. IMO the front leg should block, but not before weight transfers into the ball. Just a visual compare with Manny that many would say, if it wasn't Manny, that he is bug squishing.
1t3cv_zps1d0f6e6c.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy