13yo DD Pitching-Feedback requested

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She looks pretty good...

1) She needs to work on brush interference. Immediately prior to release, the right arm (for a rightie) brushes the front of the hip. In golf, it is called "keeping the elbow tucked in". Your DD's arm at release is several inches from her lower body at release. This will ultimately lead to all kinds of accuracy problems as she gets older.

2) IMHO, her arm should be straighter at 12. She has almost a 90 degree bend in her arm for the entire circle until release. I'm not at all certain that her arm straightens at release. Could you possibly shoot the video from the 3B side?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
She looks pretty good...

1) She needs to work on brush interference. Immediately prior to release, the right arm (for a rightie) brushes the front of the hip. In golf, it is called "keeping the elbow tucked in". Your DD's arm at release is several inches from her lower body at release. This will ultimately lead to all kinds of accuracy problems as she gets older.

2) IMHO, her arm should be straighter at 12. She has almost a 90 degree bend in her arm for the entire circle until release. I'm not at all certain that her arm straightens at release. Could you possibly shoot the video from the 3B side?

Thank you. Ill get a shot from 3rd base side and focus on that. The intent is not to lock the arm out but it does show a lot of bend as noted. What is the best arm position related to locked out all the way to 90 degree bend?

On the brush interference. What could be causing the lack of BI? It almost appears she is leaning or falling away-this perhaps?

What are some drills she can do and cues to help her focus on keeping the elbow tight? Shes a "why" student-what can I tell her is the benefits of BI besides accuracy. What immediate feedback would she gain with better BI?

She is a great spin/movement pitcher. She is mediocre in speed though. Id like to see her go from 50 to 55 this year to keep pace with the competition and make her change of speeds more effective. Advice?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
135 degrees is generally a pretty good angle; but more important is that the elbow/lower arm stays loose. Her elbow/lower arm appears somewhat locked and stiff. Video from the 3B side and with better light would be helpful.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think she needs a bit longer arm, and I'm a huge fan of slightly bent arm over head. I believe her arm is too bent and pretty much stays that way. Loose noodle longer whippy arm is the non-expert advice I give.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Right...thanks to lhowser for a great picture.

What is the best arm position related to locked out all the way to 90 degree bend?

The problem is that I'm not seeing the arm ever straighten at release. She doesn't have whip...whip is where the arm bends and then straightens...she is simply bending the arm.

On the brush interference. What could be causing the lack of BI? It almost appears she is leaning or falling away-this perhaps?

She is leaning over toward 3B at release, causing her right foot to kick out to the left for balance.

What are some drills she can do and cues to help her focus on keeping the elbow tight?

Have her pitch against a wall. Do some pitches where she is perhaps a foot from the wall on her right side.

Then, have her pitch perhaps six inches away from a wall on her left side. She'll hit the wall with her foot.

Shes a "why" student-what can I tell her is the benefits of BI besides accuracy.

She is pitching illegally. (NCAA Rule 10.6.3.2: The wrist must not be farther from the hip than the elbow.) She is getting away with it now because the umpires aren't watching her. At 18U, she'll be called for an IP so much she won't be allowed to pitch.

What immediate feedback would she gain with better BI?

She is pitching side arm.

She either plays within the rules of softball or she doesn't. There are rules to every game, and she has to play by the rules.

She is a great spin/movement pitcher.

Of course she is...she is pitching illegally.

If they let me use something besides golf clubs, I'ld be a fantastic golfer.

Id like to see her go from 50 to 55 this year to keep pace with the competition and make her change of speeds more effective. Advice?

She has to fix her motion.

Her lack of speed has to do with never straightening her arm.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan