13 yo swing in progress

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
Obviously you didn't catch my sarcasm on the "300 ft" comment. i am not one to hide behind my dd's age either. Just looking for opinions on what she needs to work on and what specific drills to do. I think she needs to do a lot of work on outside pitches to keep that front shoulder closed . I am intrigued by bat path drills though. Thanks again and hope your daughter has a great year RB.

Nov 7, 2014
Obviously you didn't catch my sarcasm on the "300 ft" comment. i am not one to hide behind my dd's age either. Just looking for opinions on what she needs to work on and what specific drills to do. I think she needs to do a lot of work on outside pitches to keep that front shoulder closed . I am intrigued by bat path drills though. Thanks again and hope your daughter has a great year RB.

to me using the cue keep the front shoulder closed longer will make it a disconnected army swing, I like the cue "Let the ball get deeper" much more :)

Oct 4, 2011
Vino, how does she do against faster pitching? There is a lot to like in her swing. IMO, I think she needs to get the barrel turn going sooner and the planting of the front foot is a reaction to the barrel turn instead of the foot planting as the barrel turn initiates. I think this would help with what TDS said about the rear to front action vs core action. In other words, I think with this swing, facing good pitching, she will have to start her swing sooner to catch up. Getting the barrel turning before the foot is planting will help her see the ball longer. I think it will help with barrel path, too.

Definitely a big improvement compared to the other swings on your YT channel. Good work...

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Vino, how does she do against faster pitching? There is a lot to like in her swing. IMO, I think she needs to get the barrel turn going sooner and the planting of the front foot is a reaction to the barrel turn instead of the foot planting as the barrel turn initiates. I think this would help with what TDS said about the rear to front action vs core action. In other words, I think with this swing, facing good pitching, she will have to start her swing sooner to catch up. Getting the barrel turning before the foot is planting will help her see the ball longer. I think it will help with barrel path, too.

Definitely a big improvement compared to the other swings on your YT channel. Good work...

IMO this approach doesn't address the lack of coil and will be further counterproductive as it will make it even more difficult to adjust to off speed. Work on fixing the lower half and then tweak sequencing and upper half as needed.

Jun 15, 2011
Turnin2 she does better with faster pitchers and does have some trouble hitting CU solidly. We will work on the lower half, great insight from everyone and it's much appreciated. She wants to really focus on hitting.

Oct 4, 2011
That is where I was headed with the faster pitchers comment. My comments address the ability to adjust. It would be great if you could get game video from behind the hitter (behind their back) with the pitcher in the view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi