12u - Latest Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I like how she uses her middle to get things started. She also does a good job of working and launching the barrel from within the sagittal plane vs turning it under. I would like to see the rest of her upper-half more relaxed to allow for better flow..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm seeing some depth here...
tumblr_nszobvyOIU1usf292o1_250.gif

That I'm not seeing here...
tumblr_nvewf2Fes11usf292o1_250.gif

The latest swings look a lot more "out-front" to me, and the hip-hands separation is being shortened. There's also a pulling with the back that is missing.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013

The latest swings look a lot more "out-front" to me, and the hip-hands separation is being shortened. There's also a pulling with the back that is missing.
I disagree with the lack of depth analysis. A hitter can still hit the ball out front BUT allow the ball to travel deep....

Does this one lack depth?
Cabrera_052213_side.gif

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

I see what you are talking about as well as the "flow" comment from TDS, but I chalk it up to a kid trying to mentally override a previous pattern and it coming through as a little mechanical and tight. I think that is why both the separation is less and it looks a little forced. Seems like with time it will loosen up a little as she makes it her own and that better stretch will come back. At the same time, the simplicity of the swing and the lack of wasted motion is something I really like in her progress. If you remember the beginning of the thread, she had a lot of extra movements going on and now it looks like everything is very purposeful.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I disagree with the lack of depth analysis. A hitter can still hit the ball out front BUT allow the ball to travel deep....

I'm seeing more of an "around-along" (to use FFS' terms) path in the first swing. The latest looks more like a "down to" path.

These are just my observations. If you're seeing something else, that's fine. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks Eric. You brought up depth, so I thought to comment on what "letting the ball get deep" means to me.

Miggy_highside.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks Eric. You brought up depth, so I thought to comment on what "letting the ball get deep" means to me.

Miggy_highside.gif

To me, "letting the ball get deep" is different than a "deep bat path". A deep bat path puts the barrel on the plane of the pitch deep in the hitting zone. What I'm seeing in the latest swing from BD's DD is a bat path that is going down to the point of contact, rather than getting on plane early. The older swing appears (to me) to have a deeper bat path.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Eric, IMO none of the high level hitters try to get on plane early.. Bonds IMO is trying to keep the barrel working between the lines (sagittal plane) as long as he possibly can whipping the barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie