12 YO pitcher w/o coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
FWIW - My 16YO DD is giving lessons to a few of the Little League kids, just to help make sure they are starting out with good mechanics. She charges $10 per hour lesson weather it is 1 kid or 3.

May 7, 2012
NC
Also you may want to talk to the local school coaches. Some in our are will provide for free or ask one of their players to assist so they can reinforce their own techniques... Seeing someone else do exactly what you are doing is almost like watching a video of yourself and being able to critique both players.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I would recommend the Building the House DVD.
That would be a great way to go.

Distance throwing will not likely increase her speed but may lead to other problems if her mechanics are not good. Slow down and get good information. Experimenting with a bunch of different things and then unteaching them later can be very frustration for a kid. Commit to getting the DVD's as quickly as possible. Bill Hillhouse has coached a lot of kids.

Apr 25, 2010
Bill is unable to sell his dvds right now due to a contact dispute. He is hoping to have that cleared up soon.

Apr 25, 2010
Not unless you know someone who is willing to lend you their copy. He is going to be updating that video once he gets that mess straightened out.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are lots of instructional videos on YouTube that would help. The problem your DD is probably having is that she does not feel the need to get better because she is experiencing success at the level she is currently playing. Until you push her to play at a higher, more competitive level, she will probably be content just doing it the way she has been. That is why we push our players by playing the best competition we can find. Our W/L record is not great, but we often learn more from a loss than we do a win!

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Jenny Finch has recently put out a video that teaches and shows what parents should look for. Pitcher Perfect is the name and you can get it from her web site. My DD has attended two of Jenny's camps and has always had the Finch rotational method naturally. Jenny actually noticed it and pointed it out to a few other attendees. We bought the video to reinforce the fine points since most people do not teach this method and pitching coaches around WNY don't understand it.

Also look into core training for pitchers. This is where a lot of untapped speed can come from as well as injury prevention.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Sbmom, if you want to private message me your address, I will mail you my copy of Building The House.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan