12 Months Worth of Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
This is IR2; twelve months ago she couldn't pitch a lick, in fact she didn't last one inning in the only inning she pitched her freshman year. Her mother made me promise I'd never put her on the mound again until she could pitch. I was the classic bowling-style bucket-dad pitching coach--then I found this board/forum. Thanks to BM, JavaSource, Rick Pauly (and many others) we've cobbled together enough drills that took that non-pitcher and turned her into a reliable pitching machine. We've (she as a pitcher, me as a pitching coach) still have a ways to go but as you can see...the foundation is here now after twelve months of labor. Still many minor adjustments to make cleaning up power leaks and fold in a reliable change-up (we've settled on Pauly's shovel change). But all-in-all...the girl can pitch with a nice drop on her fastball.

Point is: If you've just discovered this site, focus on BM's reverse chaining of the throwing motion, JavaSource's drive mechanics, and Rick Pauly's ability to put it all together.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I could post a video of her 30 days ago hitting the lights in the gym with her head she was hoping so bad. She hasn't arrived yet but every day we get closer and closer.

To put it into perspective, here she is 18 months ago.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
She's doing a lot of really good things. Definitely a vast improvement over 18 months ago, Willy. Her drive mechanics have made the difference, IMHO. Still though, there is room for improvement, as I'm sure you know. 2 things I see right off the bat are:

1. She does not appear to be getting a significant transfer of weight to the back leg at the beginning of her motion. It is my opinion that this move is the single most important part of the delivery. It is crucial in getting the "negative/positive" position of the drive foot right. Revisit Java's Drive Mechanics thread and take copious notes from this video: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18135-drive-mechanics-15.html#post280717

2. The second "fix" will help her timing with #1. Have her start with her glove at chest level. As she makes the weight shift to her back leg, have her extend her glove straight away from her body simultaneously. As soon as she begins her lean forward, she should be starting her backswing and creating overlap. Emphasize an "explosive" drive of the knee forward (not up!) on the stride leg. This should help her with potential crow-hop issues, and more importantly, it will detach the drive foot sooner. Java covers all of this in the Drive Mechanics thread.

Hope that helps!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'm a huge fan of having some bend in the arm down the back side. It's vital for good arm whip. However,I feel she has just a bit too much.
Funny thing is that I have a pitching session with a girl today who needs to get some bend in her arm down the back side. Maybe you could take a little off your girl and send it my way for this girl I see today.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
You know what Doug, that might be the solution for two other problems we're trying to correct, the ball needs to be palm up at 0900. If she was more twisted upward with the ball then maybe the arm would straighten out some and fix another problem, not long enough towards the bottom of the circle. I believe she's short-arming the ball, losing some of her length at the bottom of the circle...a power leak. Thanks.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
You know what Doug, that might be the solution for two other problems we're trying to correct, the ball needs to be palm up at 0900. If she was more twisted upward with the ball then maybe the arm would straighten out some and fix another problem, not long enough towards the bottom of the circle. I believe she's short-arming the ball, losing some of her length at the bottom of the circle...a power leak. Thanks.

In my opinion, the solution to an overly-bent arm lies not where you might think (just before 9:00), but even further up the chain than that (like the 1:00 to 12:00 position). Personally, I think, given she has the tendency to bend too much (starting right after the ball passes directly over head), just have her focus on a straighter arm (BUT NOT LOCKED) over head. Make sure she still has the ball pointed toward the catcher when the ball is over head. Lead with the elbow over head, but don't let that arm bend very much.

Also, for me, I think she turns her push (right) foot too much going into her drive, starting out just a bit too open for me. While I think some turning of the foot is okay, I think she turns it too much. I like to see them staying more square to the catcher when they begin their push (drive out). If they have an explosive, square drive out at the start, they will automatically open. I think too often pitchers open as they initiate their stride. I see this as a loss of power. Javasource's Drive Mechanics thread is nothing short of exceptional in this regard.

One more thing... Notice how that glove arm dies while she's doing her back swing. I believe she should incorporate more of a punch with her glove, as if to punch out and bop the umpire on the head from above. Then, as the throwing arm goes down the back side, she should have symmetry in her adduction. That is, that glove arm elbow (and entire glove arm) should adduct in sync with the throwing arm (i.e., both elbows should suck into the sides of the torso. Of course, the elbows will be pulling the hands down toward the thighs.

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Doug, you wouldn't believe how much Coaches Eye video I have of her right foot trying to stop that premature turning (in an attempt to get open early). Some days this is like a damn springing leaks. It's definitely an incremental journey. Thank you for the tips...we'll keep working and posting.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Hey, I love that brush contact she gets and that throwing arm follow-through! She's definitely getting the IR. Love the spin of the ball. She looks like she's going to be a powerful pitcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet