11yo - Latest BP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Curious, how is she doing in games? Contact, hits and power? Not stats necessarily. Does she usually get to contact. Hit line drives? Grounders? Mostly singles or doubles in the gaps?

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I wouldn't toe the back foot in - Brooke doesn't. I wouldn't IR and lock the rear hip down - Brooke doesn't. Your DD's original swing needed a little work. She needed to learn to move out properly, stretch the lower against the upper, and direct/load the barrel.

I'm familiar with what you are being taught. I'm also familiar with having a kid that will do what you ask them to do. She would be better off ignoring your instruction at this point... That's a hint. But coming from me probably doesn't mean much I'm sure.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Like Howe said... She needs to forget about the rear leg crap and trust that her middle will get her there.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Like Howe said... She needs to forget about the rear leg crap and trust that her middle will get her there.

I believe I see what you are seeing.

Poor 'connection' between the upper and lower here. They are operating virtually independently. Synchronization with this particular approach is a crap shoot and will be a struggle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
p.s.

Understand what causes the 'sitting' process as the COM moves forward and the associated feel in the rear leg/hip ..... as opposed to first 'sitting' (scrunching) and then 'unsitting' as the COM moves forward.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Without getting into which philosophy she is being taught, I would offer that this lower body position into launch simply is not stable or able to transfer power effectively. It was better before.

In looking at her two swings, the before looks like it is her swing and she owns it, the after looks like a hitter going from taught position A, to taught position B etc. She has a lot of nice natural movement in that before swing and I like the lower body there better.

o0wb5d.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Without getting into which philosophy she is being taught, I would offer that this lower body position into launch simply is not stable or able to transfer power effectively. It was better before.

In looking at her two swings, the before looks like it is her swing and she owns it, the after looks like a hitter going from taught position A, to taught position B etc. She has a lot of nice natural movement in that before swing and I like the lower body there better.

o0wb5d.jpg

Yeah, I suppose the swing is a bit of a train wreck at the moment.

What we see is a faulty lower body that is not supporting a sound upper body. Couple that with a lack of synchronization mechanics and this is the result.

It is a work in progress that is being shared … along with a request for feedback.

She certainly looks to have been busy working on her skill development.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yeah, I suppose the swing is a bit of a train wreck at the moment.

What we see is a faulty lower body that is not supporting a sound upper body. Couple that with a lack of synchronization mechanics and this is the result.

It is a work in progress that is being shared … along with a request for feedback.

She certainly looks to have been busy working on her skill development.

I don't think it is a train wreck at all, I see more of a kid who is able to digest instruction and try new things, God knows I would love if my older girl was better at that. Maybe she does it a little too much though and overrides some good natural instincts. That before swing looks so close to me especially for her age and the only thing I see missing there is some good snap and power, but the motion looks good. Makes me wonder what the original issue that was seen with her hitting in actual games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog