11 Year Old Velocity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
IS4UA, I think people on this site will suggest the use of IR mechanics because this matches what the top pitchers in the game do. You don't have to believe what is said, simply look at the abundance of footage available of all types of college pitchers- all of them, to a one, come down the back side of the circle, elbow leading, ball up- whether they were specifically taught this type of mechanics or not, this is where they have ended up to be successful. As someone noted above, it is very likely that your DD's coach successful 18U+ pitchers are using IR mechanics despite what they are taught. If you want advice, mine would be to watch the footage of college pitchers and then decide for yourself what you think is best- but the other caveat (and this is from RLG)- you want to increase speed, focus on mechanics first

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Well I dont neccesarily see it as a hello elbow but I guess it is, she opens up lands and a 45, on her down swing she doesnt really have a bend in her arm to create whip shes on top and behind the ball instead of palm up and she doesnt lead the the elbow. Im assuming this is what actually differentiates the hello elbow as you all call it and IR.

That's exactly what it is. Listen, you came with the desire to learn how to increase her velocity and you have come to a fantastic place for that process to begin. There is NO DOUBT that the answers can be found right here. You have to be willing to come to terms with the reality that much of what your DD is being taught is actually holding her back. You wouldn't be the first one. There are many, many folks here at DFP that have made the switch from HE to I/R. Why? Simple: The Hanson Principle. Test everything you are taught against empirical evidence of the very best in the world. If it doesn't match up, then you have a problem. Now, go find video of an elite HE style pitcher and get back to us. That's the Hanson Principle in action. Good luck.

Feb 7, 2013
Well I dont neccesarily see it as a hello elbow but I guess it is, she opens up lands and a 45, on her down swing she doesnt really have a bend in her arm to create whip shes on top and behind the ball instead of palm up and she doesnt lead the the elbow. Im assuming this is what actually differentiates the hello elbow as you all call it and IR.

Compare and contrast Boardmembers arm whip in the sticky thread "I/R in the Classroom" with your DD's arm whip. If her palm is not to the sky at 9:00 and doesn't rotate into and through release than she is not using much internal rotation. If YOU actually do the drills you will FEEL the difference between pushing the ball down the circle and pulling the ball down the circle.

If that doesn't convince you, go to the Powerdrive website and watch Amanda Scarborough pitch in super slow motion. Notice her arm and hand position during the arm circle at 12:00, 9:00, and 6:00, into and through release. The gold standard for showing pure internal rotation mechanics.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
This sounds a lot like my dd. She is a first year 12. Her mechanics are pretty good and she is fairly successful. I have a c level team that she pitches for and she is easily our best. She also plays on a higher level team that she rarely sees pitching time. She is very successful when she pitches but just doesn't get much time.
We never focused really on speed so I don't have a radar gun. So, I borrowed one and discovered, to her dismay, that she is only throwing about 45. Her team has 2 other pitchers that touch 50 so they get most of the pitching time, even if they are getting hit pretty hard.
As a slight side note, she did get to pitch a pool game this weekend, her only start of the season, and threw a 3 inning shut out.

May 13, 2013
thats good to here underground, mine has pitched well all year this year in c class. She even had a no hitter earlier this year. there have only been a couple of teams that have really hit her hard and just put it in the gaps. Shes is the go to pitcher and most reliable.

May 23, 2014
Pasadena,Tx
Are there things we can work on to increase velocity at this age?

So, you want her to be the best 11YOA pitcher around? Or, do you want her to be the best 18YOA pitcher around?

Sure, there are ways to increase her speed right now...and the way to do it is to develop habits which will torpedo any future hope of her being "good". For example, "slamming the hips" actually can increase speed at your DD's age...of course, when she grows up and develops...uh, you know...she won't be able to hit the backstop from 20 feet.

The best way to insure your DD's success in the future (when it *really* matters) is to work with her to develop perfect pitching form *NOW*.

Work on getting her form *now* as good as it can be (read the various threads "stuck" to the top of the forum) and your DD will be way ahead of the game when she starts to mature.

I like this, it's a marathon not a sprint. I tell my girls, I don't care if your 10U all-stars, 12U all-stars, etc, I care that you make it to high school and college.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs