11 Year Old Velocity?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
… with a RPS of 10-11.5 she hit 45 a couple of times. Her changeup which is a flip was in the 30-33 range with RPS of 16-17. ..

If I were to guess, I'm thinking your DD is NOT inside the ball into release. Meaning... she's getting behind the ball too early. Take a look at some video of her, and I think you will discover the same thing... as noted by her tendency to release out front a bit. Her spin will improve, and I think that should be a focus for her now...with the understanding that her accuracy might need to be fine-tuned later on. As Ray suggests, I'd focus on mechanics that enforce good speed and spin now... and the rest will come in time. Better Palm-up on the backside will increase her spin.

Jun 11, 2013
We are a 14U team, but played 18U(b teams). A couple of pitchers were in the 50's beside ours, but most were in the mid 40's. Even on the A side of the tournament I saw a few who threw in the high 40's.

Strikes are a nice calculation, but as she gets older, just throwing strikes won't help. If she can hit spots consistently that will help offset any lack of speed.

May 13, 2013
She can hit her spots well right now so thats really not a problem. I dont think im going.to go the video route cause she pitches somewhat like people call around here hello elbow so I really dont wanna here all of the change her to IR cause shes been doing this for over two years now and her pitching coach has plenty of succesful students.playing in college.

Jun 19, 2013
To the OP I don't mean this to pick on you at all!! It is great you are having success right now. And I can personally tell you that switching over to i/r might have a lot of challenges. But it is just that on this site I would say almost every coach (and most parents) are going to tell you that you can find a little more speed and keep your accuracy on the route you're on, but you are going to hit a dead end in a couple of years unless she starts morphing from the HE bowling style.

You might want to ask for some names of the successful college pitchers that your coach has trained and see if you can find some video of them and see what kind of mechanics they are actually using.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I dont think im going.to go the video route cause she pitches somewhat like people call around here hello elbow so I really dont wanna here all of the change her to IR cause shes been doing this for over two years now and her pitching coach has plenty of succesful students.playing in college.[/QUOTE]

Well Java hit that nail on the head.

Jun 19, 2013
I edited my post. I really don't want to discourage you. We are also on this path and learning as we go. Just keep looking at what she's learning and keep your eyes on where you want her to be down the road. We LOVED our first coach and learned a lot. But if only I'd known what I didn't know. I sure wish we could have back a lot of the hours that we spent on our h/e drills and didn't have to spend so much time relearning now. Best of luck on your journey!

May 13, 2013
Well I dont neccesarily see it as a hello elbow but I guess it is, she opens up lands and a 45, on her down swing she doesnt really have a bend in her arm to create whip shes on top and behind the ball instead of palm up and she doesnt lead the the elbow. Im assuming this is what actually differentiates the hello elbow as you all call it and IR.

Mar 28, 2013
If you are asking us to tell how to gain velocity but in the same breath saying you are not willing to change things like a locked elbow I doubt any of us know enough to help you. If Its honest opinion you are after and can digest it without turning it into a personal attack then you have some of the best in the business on this board and they will give you the tools to help her and begin taking her to the next level. So you can either open your mind and learn how the best in the game did it or stick to your guns and stop posting, we will all go on either way. Really wish the both of you the best of luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs