11 Year old next steps??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I have an 11 year old that can hit all 6 spots with her fastball pretty consistent and also has a great back hand change. Should I start teaching spins (Curveball, Dropball, Screwball) I bet she is throwing in the 42-44 range...

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Start teaching the basics of the rise. Not for game use, but it'll set her up for an easier transition into the curve or screw later on. At 12u, the ability to mix speeds and location with consistant accuracy is going to win a lot of games. Her speed really needs to get closer to the 50+ range before trying to pitch the rise in a game.
All of the low in the zone pitches should have extra attention to maximizing the 6/12 spin... aka peel drop

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
If she is in the low 40's, I'd focus on mechanics, then on controlling her new-found speed. After that--double check the change, add a drop and when everything is solid, add a rise.

Last edited:
Im with the guys above if her fundamentals are correct and can hit spots consistently its time to start implementing the drop and change and like cj said you can start on the mechanics of the rise my DD practiced rise mechanics for a year b4 we had her throw it in a game.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Get her to one of the DFP IR/BI Guru's ASAP.... Have them get you video of all 3 sides. Accurate radar & revfire rates....ect. JMHO :cool:

EP: Not nec·es·sar·i·ly the closest one.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2015
I have an 11 year old that can hit all 6 spots with her fastball pretty consistent and also has a great back hand change. Should I start teaching spins (Curveball, Dropball, Screwball) I bet she is throwing in the 42-44 range...

Only throwing low 40s I would focus on any breaking ball...it won't move. I see so many of these pitchers with 8 pitches stepping left...stepping right...its just silly. Angle pitch is all it is when you do all of that stride adjuating. You can't make a ball spin with no power on the ball..42 is to slow and I'd work on power and maybe the mechanics of spinning the ball for now.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Fastball then Changeup then Drop

^^^This, the dropball is just an extension of the fastball and a fundamental pitch so it's the place to go. My 11YO DD sounds pretty similar (maybe a couple MPH faster but not much). The drop is an excellent pitch for her, just as fast as her fastball. Even on days when she isn't generating enough RPM for it to move much it's a good low fastball which is where a pitcher with moderate speed needs to locate most of the time anyway.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
^^^This, the dropball is just an extension of the fastball and a fundamental pitch so it's the place to go. My 11YO DD sounds pretty similar (maybe a couple MPH faster but not much). The drop is an excellent pitch for her, just as fast as her fastball. Even on days when she isn't generating enough RPM for it to move much it's a good low fastball which is where a pitcher with moderate speed needs to locate most of the time anyway.

Yep... the change up is just the extension of the fastball too. JMHO :cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs