11" & 12" pitching question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
My oldest daughter is in her 3rd year of 10u and 2nd year of pitching. They use an 11" ball and I have never let her throw a 12" until tonight. When we were all done with pitching and batting practice I pulled out a 12" ball and told her to go pitch to me. She did not miss a lick, throwing strike after strike for about 10 pitches. Fastball, drop, and change up all good. Has anyone ever let there daughter play up and pitch 12u games with a 12" ball when their main team was a 10u using an 11" ball? Can it be harmful to allow her to play around with the 12" ball? I know that one of our other pitchers on her travelball team uses a 12" to work on her spin. I know some people use a 14" ball for the same thing. What is everyone's thoughts.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I backed her up with the 12" ball. The biggest difference that I saw was her drop was much easier for her to throw. The longer distance and the heavier ball dropped perfectly. Her drop with the 11" tends to drop late if she throws it up above the knees. When it is thrown at the knees or below it falls off either just right or to early. The 12" looked to come in just above the knees and then fell like a rock right before it got to the plate.

Oct 22, 2009
A lot of my 10's will play 10u & 12u in the summer, and sometimes after they move to 12u in the fall they'll pitch a few games for their old 10u team or another team.
They don't ever have a problem and I told them if they did, then don't do it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I cannot see any harm jumping back and forth for 1 year.

Around year anyways MS started in the Fall and some of the players jumped from the 11” to 12” ball and distance in a matter of weeks. Some of the pitchers really struggled, some did not miss a beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red