10yo Swing - Thoughts ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
Here is Jayla's latest swing. Any thoughts or advice ?

[video=youtube_share;u_TaiEwyOww]http://youtu.be/u_TaiEwyOww[/video]

I slowed it down and uploaded to youtube. I apologize for the quality. Video was taken with iPad.

Thx,
Batdragon

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Add some knee pinch to coil/load more or some variation of and she will have a very fine powerful swing. Great balance and rhythm from what I can tell from the video.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Swing is looking good. I would like to see more of a negative/coil move first. Seems like your DD is all forward. Kind of standing there waiting for the ball. Sure DD is a good contact hitter. I'm sure your looking for more power? Power is just 'behind the corner'.

She shows really good balance and takes her hands smoothly inside the ball to get the bat head into the zone quickly. She should be well-prepared to hit the ball where it's pitched and spray the ball around to all fields.

I do like the suggestion for loading. I like girls to swing powerfully and a bit more load and getting some weight back would help this girl.

One other suggestion of my own is that she work on a bit stronger follow-through. Like many younger girls (and some older ones), they tend to think their job is done once contact with the ball is made and you see what I refer to as a "wrist-y" follow through where the swing is slightly abbreviated and the breaking of the wrist ends the swing. I like to tell girls to pretend they are hitting and powering through at least two more balls after they hit the first one ... to visualize maximum extension through the hitting zone and allow that extension to create a longer, higher follow through. In other words, to keep accelerating the bat beyond contact to drive the ball as hard as possible.

Jessica Mendoza's swing classically illustrates this concept. She releases her top hand to allow the bat and her arms to extend fully after contact is made and her wrists hardly ever break. Her bat nearly wraps around her all the way after each swing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
24okx.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207