10U Rec Parents...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
My 10U team had a game last night. Players x & y showed up 35 mins late to pregame warm up and miss more practice than the other 8 combined. They usually start infield. I had 2 girls that have practiced their positions. So, I let them start. We have 10, so no one was benched. I also tried moving player x down toward the bottom of the batting order because she will actually swing. I was hoping it would help that bottom half. Anyway, player x's mother came to the dugout furious because her child was in outfield and at the bottom of the batting lineup. She told me her daughter would not play this weekend's tourney and will not pay to rent a batting cage, if she is going to be at the bottom of the line up.

Questions:

1. Was I wrong in not starting the 2 girls at their usual positions?

2. What is the best way to handle these issues?

Oct 22, 2009
1. No

2. Explain what you just said--missing practices, other players practicing their positions when they are not there. They are not "gifted" a permanent position, it's earned.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Nothing I would say to her is suitable for posting. You don't owe her an explanation. If she can't figure out that being late and missing practice is reason enough to give another rec girl some reps then nothing you say will help her understand.

Feb 23, 2015
Texas
Jojo - Thank you! I have the support of the other 7 sets of parents. I just have these 2 that seem to think I play favorites. I don't know how, when their daughters are always on the infield, even when they don't make practice. Last night, I just looked at a couple of my girls warming up, and decided it just wasn't right not to let them try, when they are at almost every practice and always on time. My oldest daughter was benched constantly last year, even though she was ALWAYS at practice and ALWAYS had a great attitude. Even the other parents on her team hated the way she was done. So, I just couldn't justify not letting those other 2 girls have a try.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
You gottta weigh your options.

Option 1:
Piss off one parent who's kid is chronically tardy.

Option 2:
Piss off eight other parents who get their kids there on time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess I was just needing confirmation that I did the right thing.

You did.

Another thing I explain to the players (and any parents who ask) is that the batting order isn't a straight ranking of best to worst. Players are put in an order that we (the coaches) think will be the most productive for our team to score runs. Sometimes that includes putting good-hitting players deep in the order to help get production out of the whole lineup, not just the top half.

As for the parent's threat to not play the tourney or do extra batting work, that's their choice. It also makes your choice easier.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2015
Texas
Eric F - I explained my strategy on the batting order to the girls before the game, and I reiterated it in front of the parents after the game. She just texted me and said she is contacting the head of our league and pulling her daughter.