10 yr old trying to work on drive mechanics.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I can tell that I already like this kid! Looks good.

She needs to develop a lean sooner. Keep the head forward of the plate. Lean forward with the upperbody... as you transfer weight rearwards. Too young to be hiding anything in the glove... have her use a backswing when she practices.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a couple of things:

1) I think she is throwing around her body. I see a rear shoulder that is pushing the ball towards a target. Imagine the four corners of our torso as the corners on a picture frame. Rather than focus on moving one of those corners... or even all of them... see if she can keep that frame still while she brings the ball down from 10 o'clock. She need not be totally open... not saying that... but she needs to throw that ball across her torso... not around it.

2) Reciprocal Adduction. This goes hand-in-hand with the previous point... but I don't see force production INTO the body with BOTH arms. She's an all-out kid... which I totally dig. So, ask her to think about a jumping jack... then do it. Ask her what the arms are doing when they come down. Are they coming into the body? Are they going around our body? Are our shoulders rotating? Do both arms go up together... and DOWN together? Does one arm go up higher than the other? Then tell her to pitch it again... this time thinking about a POWERFUL jumping jack... and bringing the arms powerfully INTO the body... send them BOTH UP TOGETHER... and both down together... HARD. Note: Make sure she is at full pitching distance away when you do this... as the results can be hazardous to catchers that are too close.

I'd recommend ironing out the whip and stability a bit more before totally committing to the DM. There happens to be a few new drills that will help her with her lean, too... just sayin'... ;)

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Dang... that was quick! Much better... That's really impressive in such a short amount of time. Post some full pitches (not throwing into glove) with that quiet torso... and then post some after it with her trying to adduct her arms into her sides, powerfully. I'd like to see how they compare.

Also... could you provide a link to a video of her pitching... filmed from behind? I'd like to see that angle, too. I know, I know... bossy, bossy. ;)

She's a sharp kid...

Mar 12, 2009
You can see her thinking and applying what is being suggested. She looks like she's going to have great work ethic! I didn't slow it down for my eyes so she may be doing it but be sure to tell her to lead with her pinky finger from 9 on down.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Man, this kid is a quick study. Has she put these items all together? Her whip is absolutely rockstar in that last clip. This young lady has traits similar to what I saw in Boomers daughter, Lizzy. Ever consider moving to NY? ;)

Put a clip together, and then read through this thread if you haven't already. Take a look at what Boomers DD did in two days, and ask yourself if the progress she made fundamentally while practicing with a backswing helped her. Then... could you put a clip together of her throwing a full pitch WITH a backswing... while utilizing all the points she's been working on?

She is really special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw