yellow on pitcher's glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Do ASA rules allow the pitchers mitt to have flourescent yellow lacing and a flourescent yellow round manufacturer's emblem on the back of the wrist strap? Illinois HS rules don't allow it and the pitchers have to cover it up, but not sure about ASA.

Questioned the ump last night and he claims in April this year, that was OK'd by ASA.

Jan 20, 2011
Do ASA rules allow the pitchers mitt to have flourescent yellow lacing and a flourescent yellow round manufacturer's emblem on the back of the wrist strap? Illinois HS rules don't allow it and the pitchers have to cover it up, but not sure about ASA.

Questioned the ump last night and he claims in April this year, that was OK'd by ASA.

My favorite from an IHSA umpire this season was as follows: He watches warm up pitches and the infield/outfield throw the ball around before the first inning. Pitcher takes the circle and catcher goes through the signs, plate ump calls time out and calls out to the home team coach that the left fielder has an illegal glove since the manufacturer's emblem is neon on a black glove. Stated that the glove was a distraction to the batter. I understand a rule is a rule but really, 170' away is a distraction? Also, why not say anything during the warm up?

Mar 2, 2013
Let's actually go to the rule book, since that tends to be the best source for answers on the rules

"The Pitcher's glove may be of one solid color or multicolored as long as the color(s) are not the color of the ball being used in the game."

Now to the interpretation: A manufacturer's logo is not considered a color on the glove.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I ran into a similiar situation. We have those quarterback wristbands for plays. Pitcher wearing one on her glove arm. It's in like the 4th inning and our pitcher has shut this team down. The opposing coach comes out and talks to the HU. The umpire comes out to our pitcher and tells her she has to take off the wristband. I walk out and ask him why. He tells me it's distracting the batters. I ask him, did any of the batters complain to you? He says no. I ask, has it distracted you calling balls/strikes? He says no. So I say OK, so it's actually only distracting the other coach. We had her remove the band, but I thought it was kind of funny.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The manufacturer's logo is just as much of the glove as the laces and padding.

Speaking ASA, if the logo is the same color as the ball, the pitcher may not be permitted to wear that glove

Here is the ASA clarification:

Equipment
There have been several questions pertaining to our rule regarding the colors of gloves and what the pitcher can and can not wear. Our rule is very specific. Rule 3 Section 4 states (FP) the pitcher’s glove may be of one solid color or multicolored as long as the color(s) are not the color of the ball being used in the game. Questions are regarding Logo or Manufactures names on the glove not technically being part of the glove but stitching. As in the ball used in the game the stitching and the logo are part of the ball so is the stitching and or logo a part of the glove. So if the pitcher has a glove that the manufactures name or logo on that glove is the color of the ball being used in the game then the glove can not be worn by the pitcher. Remember the glove can be worn by any other player.

Understand, I do not agree with this rule, but this is another rule developed because of coaching excuses and complaints.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
MTR - Is that a recent change in wording? Because i would have sworn that the rule excluded the emblem.

I am going to print out the rule, because I have several students wearing that glove.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR - Is that a recent change in wording? Because i would have sworn that the rule excluded the emblem.

I am going to print out the rule, because I have several students wearing that glove.

No, actually it was offered and hasn't changed since 2008, the year after the rule was reworded (2007) to just note the color of the ball, not specifically white, gray or optic yellow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand