Would love feedback on improving my 10yr old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
TeamM, do you see how she is taking everything back - holding - and then taking everything forward? Do you see how the hands have to drift forward with the body when she does that?
tumblr_o628tdEl2k1usf292o1_250.gif

Her middle should be re-positioning forward while her rear stays back. Her hands should not be moving back, they should be staying back. She should try to keep her rear knee back as she is moving out. If you want to get the feeling of getting the hands back, you need to learn how to stretch if forward. Cryptic I'm sure... :D

Jim Dixon wrote: "The hips go forward, but the shoulders stay back."

Mar 21, 2013
Great! So if I understand,? Her hands are still going or remain back as she gets centered , getting ready to attack the ball. What's a drill that I can give her to get that feeling? Is it that above drill? Thanks!!!!!

Apr 13, 2015
Great! So if I understand,? Her hands are still going or remain back as she gets centered , getting ready to attack the ball. What's a drill that I can give her to get that feeling? Is it that above drill? Thanks!!!!!

This is probably the one that's talked about most on here. And has worked for my DD.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes it is. Try to slow the hands to the "top" even more. Have her think to herself "wherrrrrrrrres thissssssss pitchhhhhhhhhh?" And when she thinks it's slow enough, make her slow down even more.

Bautista's secret to his success was to start slow and early.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Definitely an improvement. Along the lines of what Howe said, I would suggest delaying the hands even more, so they are still pulling up and back at the same time as the rear leg/hip is firing forward (overlap). Ideally, we want the hip pulling the hands, not everything turning together.

I have had some success with hitters around this age telling them to turn their belt buckle (or belly button) towards the pitcher while keeping their shoulders in line with the pitcher. This has been helpful in getting them to feel upper-lower separation and the tension/resistance that is generated down the right side of their back. That tension/resistance is critical.

Chamberlain%20gif%20front_zps0o2fvgkv.gif

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Thank you you guys! We are going to work on it. I don't know if it matters that she is a slapper. I just haven't been able to explain it to her , so she can get the feeling that she needs to have. I will keep you updated. I can't thank you enough!!!! Here is her just thinking hit the ball! So we have a lot to work on. The questionI do have is their order in which you work on these things? http://youtu.be/WK2zHMQwzFw

Apr 1, 2014
I do. I just don't think loading hands is the way to put it. I can load my hands and my hands only.... and bypass my scap and lower back. I do indeed say the scap is loaded. I don't get into the semantics of what loads has to unload. And yes it unloads...so do the hips. The question is when. I guess the popular phrase today is clamp or pinch the scap.

Absolutely agree with this...
One fires what one loads.

This hitter below loads the hands by "walking away", then she fires.
She is incapable of what Ortiz does with his: He loads his core, and then fires with his core. The scapula is the fulcrum and a critical element of the core. It is front and center to what orchestrates the activity in the upper extremity in BOTH the throw and high level swing.

Excellent hands vs very poor hands ?

Hugo is the Bryce Harper of softball. She is athletic enough to adapt and succeed in collegiate play. In my opinion, she "golfs" the ball. She has no scapula. I would not consider her a model swing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi