Worst call ever

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Ha, Where do you people find these things!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw it happen a few days ago in a HS game. Big hack at a high pitch. Catcher caught the ball but PU was ducking and covering. Field Ump said she couldn't see it because she was watching the baserunner.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My favorite of the ones I've personally witnessed was the umpire who didn't allow a run because he didn't see it cross the plate. He was watching a play at 2B (even though there was a base ump, too), and didn't pay attention to our runner pass in front of him. When asked what happened with our runner who had been at 3B, he couldn't answer.

May 13, 2008
Tie game in the bottom of the seventh in the district finals, my DD's team is up with a runner on 3rd. Other team decides to intentionally walk our hitter (this was before rule change and the pitches had to be pitched), the catcher sets up outside the catcher's box and the umpire, appropriately, called an illegal pitch. What he failed to do, however, was enforce the rule to advance the base runners. The game was postponed due to no field lights. When we resumed the next day, the other team ended up winning.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
This occurred in our game the other day (10U rec). There was only the plate ump, no field ump. We had runners on first and second, the batter hit a ground that went through to left. The LF threw to the thirdbaseman, the ball beat the runner for an apparent forceout and the ump called the runner out.

But here's where it was a terrible call: I was coaching third so I had a clear view of this. The third baseman was on the homeplate side of the base, and her foot was clearly off the base by at least an inch, maybe even two inches. The ump had enough time to move in front of the plate, so he was only about 55 feet away from the play. I don't understand how he missed the call. One of the worst calls I've ever seen.

(In case it's not obvious, my outrage is sarcasm. The play happened as described, and I completely understand why the ump called her out, and I did not say a word to him about it.)

Probably cost that kid a scholarship, you should have pulled up 3rd base and thrown it into the crowd.

Jun 11, 2013
We had a call like that keep us out of nationals one year.

Had we gotten the call we would have come back from 6-1 down, won the next 2 games to get the quarters and they rolled through those 3 to claim the berth.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles