Winter blues...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Less than a week til we start pitching practice and lessons back up so at least we'll have that. The indoor practices stink. I miss the dirt.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
No talk or anything in our house about softball. Taking three weeks off right now and enjoying some free time we need. After the first of the year, we are going to get the mojo moving and start hitting some practices and working out.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
I'm right there with you. DD's team hasn't done much since around Halloween. She's done some clinics and camps, and been doing a workout routine pretty consistently to stay in shape. Plus she does tee work in the basement a few days a week. That's all well and good, and is an important part of her progression, but I miss watching her play. Now that Christmas is over spring can't get here fast enough.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD received a workout program from her college coaches, so she is going to start working out in January getting ready. They do not do a mile run for the conditioning test, they do "half gassers". A half gasser is a sprint across the width of a football field (53'), touch the line with their foot, and back. They have 18 seconds to complete the half gasser, rest for one minute, then repeat. They do it 18 times and have to pass 16 of the 18.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
DD received a workout program from her college coaches, so she is going to start working out in January getting ready. They do not do a mile run for the conditioning test, they do "half gassers". A half gasser is a sprint across the width of a football field (53'), touch the line with their foot, and back. They have 18 seconds to complete the half gasser, rest for one minute, then repeat. They do it 18 times and have to pass 16 of the 18.

My DD also got an agility workout program from her college coach. Her club coach is more excited than she is I think. lol He's going to use several for the winter team workouts. Also, DD is getting ready to hold some catching "camps" for the younger girls in the club organization in Jan/Feb. She enjoys passing on her craft and it's also good volunteer hours for NHS. Win-Win for her. :)

Mar 21, 2013
4 weeks, I mean 3 weeks, okay 2 weeks max. DD is on a 3 week break also. The wife and I don't need it, but apparently DD does.

Hello, my name is Mike and i'm an addict!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
DD 3's HS team has captains' practices early morning once a week, meaning the coaches don't run it. I'm just hoping there isn't too much drama. DD 2 has a lot of friends on the team, and had a nasty fallout with one of them. That means some of the girls on the team are still friends with DD 2, and others are not. DD 3 is a freshman, and is finding that how she gets treated by the older players depends on how they are getting along with DD 2.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Earlier in the fall I came across this Nebraska workout program, not that we are Nebraska fans. I just needed a guideline to get my DD started on any type of weight training that is better than the same 4 exercises her HS team does. Also it is a great motivation for me to get back in the gym. DD said that she likes the variety that it offers and she hasn't been fighting me to get her to go with me either. Lots of lower body and core.

Nebraska Softball Sample Workouts - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

Apr 28, 2014
DD played a ton of games in the Fall. The past 6 weekends they've worked indoors both Saturday and Sunday for 5 hours each with a scrimmage each day. Not game play but okay. I took video of all of games this past season so I watch a game every few days LOL.. Keeps the fire stoked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi