Winning versus Learning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
okay I was going to write this long thread,but heres my question on Sunday is it about winning or batting all 12 girls to see who needs help on their batting?This is a TB team!

Oct 25, 2009
Well, since it's a TB team and you already know all 12 girls need help on their batting I would be playing to win. I would put my best in the game as needed to win.

Fair does not necessarily mean equal.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I am going to assume that since you can bat the roster you are still in pool play. If you batted roster on Sat, and there is no bye game in brackets, or you wouldnt get it anyway, bat the order. In brackets, you play to win and field the best team. JMO.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It depends on what the Players signed up for. The goals and philosophy of the Team should have been made clear before the players signed up.

Oct 25, 2009
Something that is not given enough consideration in my opinion. You are not the only team in the tournament. Teams in TB should want to compete. They should want to be the best team in the tournament. Other teams want to compete against your best; that's how players and teams get better. Don't be "that" team. If you enter the tournament, compete!

Jan 25, 2011
during pool play I can some what agree with batting 12.I can't agree with it when the brackets are made up.Last weekend it killed us.Pitcher gets on base 3 times,not a fast runner at all,but a good hitter.Could of used a runner but can't,because we are batting the order.This Sunday we didn't get back to the top of the order until the 4th inning.First inning lead off strikes out,2nd batter gets a hit.3rd batter takes the first pitch,girl steals 2nd,3rd batter puts bat on the ball,hits it the air to right,caught but girl on 2nd tags and now stands on 3rd.4th batter swings at to high ones and watches strike 3.Never get a girl on base till the 4th inning.11th batter strikes out,12th batter puts the ball in play gets on,on a error,we will take it.1st batter strikes out,2nd batter gets a single,moves 12th batter to second,3rd batter hits a single up the middle.Runner on second takes off running,runs into the ss,gets to 3rd,but stops HC sends her home by now the ss has ball in hand throws to home,catcher goes up the line and tags the runner out.Last girls on base for us the rest of the game.We are one and done.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
During the elimination tournament, play to win. During the pool games, play to teach.

Exactly.

Besides, if they keep winning on Sunday they play more games, which gives EVERYONE on the team a chance to learn. You know those 9 girls that always get to play? They want to get better too.

-W

Jan 25, 2011
Well in the end,I can only blame myself for not doing my home work better on this TB team.I heard nothing but good things,but that was about the u-14 and up.My dd plays u-12.Her Little League team is better then the TB team,thinking about letting dd try out for all-stars instead of going to more TB tournaments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand