Why is there so little coaching for softball catchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have a catcher that comes with one of my pitchers. The little girl is 10. The first lesson, I asked her to catch flat footed. The 2nd lesson, she was right back up on her toes. I saw her at a tournament and she was sitting on her right ankle. A teenager approached her and asked why she was on one ankle like that and she said that the coach has her do that. The teen said "You have to stay on your toes."

Jul 2, 2013
Chaz,

We aren't far from Kansas City. Maybe once the girls have the basics down we can come down and see you guys sometime.

Jul 2, 2013
I have a catcher that comes with one of my pitchers. The little girl is 10. The first lesson, I asked her to catch flat footed. The 2nd lesson, she was right back up on her toes. I saw her at a tournament and she was sitting on her right ankle. A teenager approached her and asked why she was on one ankle like that and she said that the coach has her do that. The teen said "You have to stay on your toes."

Well I guess on her toes is better than sitting on her ankle. :(

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Maybe Greenmonsters can elaborate, but what's so hard about catching? I pitch, you catch, after 3 strikes you throw around the horn, then we repeat. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Maybe Greenmonsters can elaborate, but what's so hard about catching? I pitch, you catch, after 3 strikes you throw around the horn, then we repeat. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

You're absolutely right, GD, compared to pitching, catching is a piece of cake. The only part that is at all challenging is mastering the art of making every pitcher believe that they are bulletproof, have killer stuff, deserve all credit for success, and bear no responsibility for any failure. But that's still not very hard compared to what you pitcher types have to endure ;)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It sounds like you're taking the right steps to reach your goal. DFP'er Chaz from Advanced Catching Concepts is another guy doing specialized catcher training based on the NECC techniques.

The guys from NECC are fantastic - nice people, and great teachers! My 9yo DD attended one of their 3-day camps this Winter, and it improved her game tremendously. Also at the camp was another 10U girl from our league. Her father and I are spreading the techniques with the catchers in our league. Even simple instruction on proper stances and receiving makes an immediate and dramatic difference in the ability to play the position effectively.

Here's my DD from last Saturday's game...
1546238_10203702291304283_930879591_n.jpg

Great pic Eric - she looks like a real pro. Just double check to make sure she keeps her thumb tucked inside her fist.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD2 is an aspiring pitcher. I don't have the knowledge to help there so she goes to lessons and I sit on the bucket and try to help where I can.

I completely agree with you about the catcher making the pitcher better (or worse). My other pet peeve with that is that I don't see enough catchers calling games at the 16U and 18U levels. DD1's high school team had an all state catcher last year but I never saw her call a game over the last two years.

IMO, unless a coach was a catcher who called their own games, they literally have no idea how much more effective it can be. And if a kid doesn't get that opportunity starting around age 11 or 12 today, the stakes may be too high for them to learn how to do it in college.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Chaz,

We aren't far from Kansas City. Maybe once the girls have the basics down we can come down and see you guys sometime.

I am blessed to be in KC with Chaz and have coached several of his catching students. I refer him and him alone for catching instruction in the region. I highly recommend you visit him and utilize Chaz as an instructor.

hes a good man-does this for the kids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut