Who watches trailing runner?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
2 man crew. Bases loaded, nobody out. Batter hits fly ball to left field, which is caught. Runner on 3rd tags up and scores. Runner at 2nd leaves before the catch and also scores. Umpires said they were not paying attention to the runner on 2nd. I think I remember from other posts that Plate Ump is responsible for the catch. Field ump was watching runner on 3rd. Should the plate ump have picked up the runner on 2nd after confirming the catch, or is that not feasible?

Jun 22, 2008
In 2 man system, the plate ump is responsible for the catch and if there are multiple runners, the tag up of lead runner. In the situation you have described, the plate ump would have the catch and the tag at 3rd. Base ump is responsible for runners at 2nd and 1st.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
I guess that makes more sense as the lead runner is easier to find. On the play in question, my DD heard the field ump call the catch. Wasn't a game changer, I just wasn't sure which ump missed the boat. Thanks for the info.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
In 2 man system, the plate ump is responsible for the catch and if there are multiple runners, the tag up of lead runner. In the situation you have described, the plate ump would have the catch and the tag at 3rd. Base ump is responsible for runners at 2nd and 1st.

Any different w/ bases loaded and a sac fly to RF? Tough to see both 3B and RF catch at the same time even if you're at the fence between 3B and the plate.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
I guess that makes more sense as the lead runner is easier to find. On the play in question, my DD heard the field ump call the catch. Wasn't a game changer, I just wasn't sure which ump missed the boat. Thanks for the info.

Well, if that's the case, it's possible the BU went out on the play to make the catch call and in this particular case, then the PU would have tag-up responsibilities for all runners on base.

EDIT: This rarely happens and there is usually communication between umpires if it does as the BU would have his back to the infield and it turns into a one umpire system.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Well, if that's the case, it's possible the BU went out on the play to make the catch call and in this particular case, then the PU would have tag-up responsibilities for all runners on base.

EDIT: This rarely happens and there is usually communication between umpires if it does as the BU would have his back to the infield and it turns into a one umpire system.

And when it does, the PU must apply priorities to his mechanic which will most likely check the runner closest to the plate first and other runners as he progresses around the bases. Unless it is terribly obvious that a secondary runner left early, the umpire isn't going to make that call.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
And when it does, the PU must apply priorities to his mechanic which will most likely check the runner closest to the plate first and other runners as he progresses around the bases. Unless it is terribly obvious that a secondary runner left early, the umpire isn't going to make that call.

You're right they didn't. The secondary runner was only about 15-20 feet behind the runner at 3rd. It looked obvious, but as quickly as things happen, it's not surprising he didn't see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619