Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
102v2hj.gif

11smqls.gif

Not the 'arrow' but the 'indian'. I see it more as an 'upstream' hitting mechanics problem. JMHO.

I guess I'm wrong about getting through better with her lighter bat. The top clip is her CF6 31/20. Bottom is MFB 31/21. Both balls were hit hard. Pitcher in top clip was faster.

This brings us back to the question, however, does "getting through" really matter?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
To the scientists out there does just swinging a heavier bat really make a difference. If all the science is correct then it's the mass of the hitting spot that makes a difference so that
if one kid swings a 33-23 and the other a 32-22 wouldn't the actual hitting mass be about the same. Isn't that the whole theory of end loaded bats that it brings more mass to the point of contact?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
the analogy doesn't hold, not even close, your logic would lead to pitchers with gigantic arms and now I have done everything I could possibly do to try to explain so I am out of this. good luck Ian.

I saw a pitcher once with one regular size left arm and one giant throwing arm with ripped muscles and veins popping out everywhere. It was insane. He was a AAA player.

Im sorry youre leaving the thread again. I was really excited to learn where the mass of the arms stop and the mass of the bat begins, guess ill have to wait a little longer.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I guess I'm wrong about getting through better with her lighter bat. The top clip is her CF6 31/20. Bottom is MFB 31/21. Both balls were hit hard. Pitcher in top clip was faster.

This brings us back to the question, however, does "getting through" really matter?[/QUOTE]

does "getting through" really matter
Yes. More important it matters 'how' a hitter 'gets through'. The answer to me is 'upstream'. I know a 'push' type swing isn't going to get you the through that I want.
Added: Power is to be found in the 'missing frames'. Get the seperation from lower to upper and then watch the POP.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I saw a pitcher once with one regular size left arm and one giant throwing arm with ripped muscles and veins popping out everywhere. It was insane. He was a AAA player.

Im sorry youre leaving the thread again. I was really excited to learn where the mass of the arms stop and the mass of the bat begins, guess ill have to wait a little longer.

I know that guy.....
3041763-inline-i-1-settle-it-skittles.gif

pobguy

Physics & Baseball
Feb 21, 2014
One last question from me before I check out, too!

Which would travel further, A) a grooved softball pitched at 65 mph by a 6 ft 150 lb girl named Ian and hit by a 5 ft 100 lb girl with 65 mph bat speed named Stever; or, B) a grooved softball pitched at 65 mph by a 5 ft 100 lb girl named Stever and hit by a 6 ft 150 lb girl with 65 mph bat speed named Ian?

They both travel the same distance. The pitch speed and bat speed are identical. Assuming both are "squared up" identically, the ball will come off the bat with the same speed, independent of who is swinging the bat. The main point is that the batter's hand, arms, body,... do not matter once the ball and bat are in contact. In effect, the ball-bat collision occurs so quickly that there is nothing the batter can do to influence the outcome while the ball and bat are in contact. In effect, the batter could just as well let go of the bat just prior to meeting the ball and it will have no influence on what happens to the ball. I have written extensively about that topic (for baseball): The Grip Doesn't Matter. I even recall posting at this site on the topic a year or so ago.

One additional point: This is not just "theory" (although the physics behind this result is very sound). It is also confirmed by experiment. You can read about some of the experiments at the above link.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Not only is the good Doctor smart but he has a sense of humor too! He had to pick that post! I think he and GM have to be working together. Ever seen them in the same place at the same time???

ian

Jun 11, 2015
They both travel the same distance. The pitch speed and bat speed are identical. Assuming both are "squared up" identically, the ball will come off the bat with the same speed, independent of who is swinging the bat. The main point is that the batter's hand, arms, body,... do not matter once the ball and bat are in contact. In effect, the ball-bat collision occurs so quickly that there is nothing the batter can do to influence the outcome while the ball and bat are in contact. In effect, the batter could just as well let go of the bat just prior to meeting the ball and it will have no influence on what happens to the ball. I have written extensively about that topic (for baseball): The Grip Doesn't Matter. I even recall posting at this site on the topic a year or so ago.

One additional point: This is not just "theory" (although the physics behind this result is very sound). It is also confirmed by experiment. You can read about some of the experiments at the above link.

I believe this is correct. When the ball hits the sweet spot its gone. Period.

We all strive to hit the sweet spot each and every time. Reality is, during a game more balls miss the sweet spot than hit it. Im sure grip or mass of the bat and arms make little difference on these miss hits. But being that baseball is a game of inches (errrrr. Centimeters if you prefer) im interested. Any tests out there on ball strikes off the sweet spot?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard