When is it okay to show excitement as a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
When the game is out of hand celebrating an on-field accomplishment is a bit different than a close game. Congratulate her when the inning is over off the playing field. How would you have felt if the opposition had hit the change up for HR and the coach reacted as you had?

I would have been fine with it. And would have zero problem with the other coach celebrating in kind. Especially if it had been a HR. And again, I realized the optics and apologized. It was almost involuntary of a reaction. Not like I kept cheering at every strike.

If the hitter sat on the change up DD threw and hit it deep.....then well done. The hitter did her job. I’m okay with that. Good for her.

You have to understand I often applaud/recognize other teams plays as well. A great play is a great play.

This was a back-to-back where this same team beat us 4-3 just prior. And had hit a bomb off our other pitcher. It was a great hit and I said as much out loud to the same 1B coach. That hit actually brought in the winning run(s).

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
When the game is out of hand celebrating an on-field accomplishment is a bit different than a close game. Congratulate her when the inning is over off the playing field. How would you have felt if the opposition had hit the change up for HR and the coach reacted as you had?

honestly? i don't think i would have noticed......i coach my girls, i coach them my way, and being respectful of the other team is always a part of that.......we had more than a couple one sided victories when we played local over the years, i get it........but i am NEVER not going to cheer on one of my players when they've shown growth like that or made a play because i'm afraid of how someone else might feel........same reason why i cheer on girls on the other team when they make a great play........if one cannot respect great plays when they are made, then one does not respect the game....

agreed that giving the other coach a heads up after the game isn't the worst thing, but also agree that he was more concerned with the score at that point than anything else

Feb 24, 2021
I had almost the exact situation with my DD (10U) just last night, she's been really working hard on her CU and was facing their #3 hitter at their field. IT was a close game and she threw such a pretty CU on an 0-2 count and froze the batter. My daughter does not show a lot of emotion in most settings but when she did a little fist pump and I saw how proud she was I definitely got a little more excited than i should have. But honestly, how can't you? I personally don't see anything wrong with showing excitement for the girls when they do something great, that's just my opinion.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
I too like to show excitement when a player executes something for the first time. The players always glow when I show excitement about their progress. However, one instance happened years ago in a 14B tournament that made me want to crawl into a hole.

My first year coaching, I was an AC and designated newbie hitting coach. I researched all the hitting info I could find online and one of the first things I learned was hitters can hit the direction they want if they intend to do so.

I figured hitting up the middle was as good approach as any so I told the girls to think about hitting the ball at the pitcher's feet. The thought was, of course the hit ball would miss the pitcher's feet, and the hitter would end up with a nice grounder or line drive past the pitcher and out of reach of the SS and 2b.

Championship game of the 14B tournament and my DD is up to bat. I yell out "pitcher's feet" to remind her to try and hit it up the middle. The next pitch she shoots a laser off of the pitcher's foot and knocks her down. Before I could stop myself I cheered for her because she did exactly what she was asked to do. Of course I deservedly got dirty looks from parents 🤬 and a "What the hell?!!! 👿 look from our head coach. Coaching lesson #1: Don't EVER utter anything that sounds like you are encouraging your player to harm another player!🤐

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I too like to show excitement when a player executes something for the first time. The players always glow when I show excitement about their progress. However, one instance happened years ago in a 14B tournament that made me want to crawl into a hole.

My first year coaching, I was an AC and designated newbie hitting coach. I researched all the hitting info I could find online and one of the first things I learned was hitters can hit the direction they want if they intend to do so.

I figured hitting up the middle was as good approach as any so I told the girls to think about hitting the ball at the pitcher's feet. The thought was, of course the hit ball would miss the pitcher's feet, and the hitter would end up with a nice grounder or line drive past the pitcher and out of reach of the SS and 2b.

Championship game of the 14B tournament and my DD is up to bat. I yell out "pitcher's feet" to remind her to try and hit it up the middle. The next pitch she shoots a laser off of the pitcher's foot and knocks her down. Before I could stop myself I cheered for her because she did exactly what she was asked to do. Of course I deservedly got dirty looks from parents 🤬 and a "What the hell?!!! 👿 look from our head coach. Coaching lesson #1: Don't EVER utter anything that sounds like you are encouraging your player to harm another player!🤐

Thanks for sharing......this made me laugh out loud. I totally get where you were coming from and trying to achieve! Definitely no way anyone would have assumed (correctly) what you meant. Live and learn!

Oct 2, 2017
Personallyy, as a AC i love getting excited for one of our players or team as a whole does good. I'm a little more dialed back when up by a lot, but personally I think people can tell if your being disrespectful or at least they should be able to. On the other hand I think people need to quit getting so butt hurt all the time. LOL Its the old in MLB if a batter hits a home run and bat flips, then the pitcher hits the batter on purpose type of thing, get over yourself, they did there Job and were better at that point in time than you, quite being a 2yr old LOL

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
You should certainly act like you've been there. After you've actually been there.

Hell, when my DDs hit their first ever home runs (OTF) I'm going to be on the field running the bases with them.

No you won't...you'll be chasing that ball with murder in your eyes for anyone who gets in your way!

May 6, 2015

back when I could still simulate game speed from say 25 feet, and would pitch to my DDs, the standing bet was if they could break my nose, they got $20 (never had to pay out thankfully). DD2s current head coach preaches everything through the pitcher.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad