When is it okay to show excitement as a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I experienced a moment (as a Dad-coach) where I expressed excitement at a time I probably shouldn't have. We were up 11-0 on a team and my DD was pitching. To start, she was pitching the best I've ever seen her throw up to that point. The light bulb has turned on for her and she's made some significant forward progress in her pitching. So I was already excited for her. Then, on a 0-1 count and no base runners, I asked her to throw a changeup. Little damage could be done and she had been cruising all game. She's been working on it but is afraid to throw it because she's far from consistent with it. She threw as perfect as you could ask and was her first true successful changeup. Her body showed fastball, it kept the same plane during travel, and then just died right before the plate. I verbally cheered and might have fist pumped. Our other AC (who knows how much she's worked on pitching) did similar. The other team's 1B coach.....wasn't so happy with us and understandably so. I apologized and explained why our reaction was the way it was.

But....it brought up the question....what situations (outside of the obvious like winning a tight game or a total tournament) is it okay for a coach to show true excitement? I get really amped up when one of our girls makes a great individual play or finally has success in something she's struggled with. I know in that moment the score shouldn't matter, but I try to keep in mind the optics of it. Definitely understanding that opposing coaches/players don't know the background of our players. Thoughts?

Oct 4, 2018
I care more about showing support to my girls than I do what the other team thinks of me. However, I am certainly mindful of that and a pretty mellow guy anyway.

You handled it well by explaining after the fact.

Showing the player that you're excited about her progress is what it's all about. I'm sure it made her day/week.

Nov 18, 2015
If the other teams coach was that upset about an 0-1 pitch that you immediately noticed it, he's probably a bigger jerk than you thought YOU were being.

I'd 100% do the same thing - get excited, then immediately explain to whomever was within earshot why I'm celebrating.

If you're the least bit observant - it's easy to tell how good another player is based on the cheers from their own fans. We lost what should have been an easy 1st-round basketball playoff game in the 4th grade when a player on the other team scored 2 baskets in the final minute or so. Yes, it was a playoff game, but based on the crowd's reaction, I'm pretty convinced that those 2 baskets were her only ones of the season. Sure, you may prefer to get beat by their best player, but I'm not going to be upset about losing a 4th grade rec game on a play that for all I know may still be the highlight of her playing career.

Point being - celebrate the successes. That's why you're doing this - so you can share those successes with your daughter.

You're still going to come across coaches / fans who equate you cheering a players success with chest-bumping the AC after the strike out of their #9 hitter. Chances are they're playing for reasons that will be collecting dust on a shelf in a few years.

Oh - and @uncdrew - I expect video footage of your trot around the bases when that OTF happens. :)

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If the other teams coach was that upset about an 0-1 pitch that you immediately noticed it, he's probably a bigger jerk than you thought YOU were being.

I'd 100% do the same thing - get excited, then immediately explain to whomever was within earshot why I'm celebrating.

If you're the least bit observant - it's easy to tell how good another player is based on the cheers from their own fans. We lost what should have been an easy 1st-round basketball playoff game in the 4th grade when a player on the other team scored 2 baskets in the final minute or so. Yes, it was a playoff game, but based on the crowd's reaction, I'm pretty convinced that those 2 baskets were her only ones of the season. Sure, you may prefer to get beat by their best player, but I'm not going to be upset about losing a 4th grade rec game on a play that for all I know may still be the highlight of her playing career.

Point being - celebrate the successes. That's why you're doing this - so you can share those successes with your daughter.

You're still going to come across coaches / fans who equate you cheering a players success with chest-bumping the AC after the strike out of their #9 hitter. Chances are they're playing for reasons that will be collecting dust on a shelf in a few years.

Oh - and @uncdrew - I expect video footage of your trot around the bases when that OTF happens. :)

I think the 1B coach was more annoyed/upset because we were cheering so adamantly while the score was 11-0. Not so much about the count.

You also make a good point. There is definitely a different type of cheer from the crowd when events like you described occur.

And yes.......video please!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00