What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
14u, many of the girls might be playing HS, and may not be allowed, either by state rules, or HS coach, to play TB at same time. our 14u ran into this, only two HS girls, but HS coach has told them they cannot play both, they are sneaking to our practices and games when they can.
What about last summer and fall? I understand going dark during HS season for some split age teams. I am thinking, dude I paid for practice only and no tourneys or at least some Back Alley "Fight Club" Friendlies?

eta: Did I just coin a phrase or an acronym? "B.A.F.C.F.'s"

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is one of those "life lessons" .

Your GDD made a commitment to the team. What do you want to teach her about commitments and promises? Under what circumstances is it OK for her to not honor commitments? Are sure you want to tell her it is OK to break a commitment because she wants to play 2B instead of CF?

Based upon your post, there is nothing to support her breaking her commitment. She is playing a valuable, important position.

I would tell her, "When you are on a team, you are expected to do what is best for the team. You have to learn to make the best of the situation."

More generally, the coach is telling your DD that she is an outfielder, not an infielder. Playing CF on a high level TB team is a compliment. Apparently, your DD is fast. If so, then she is needed in the outfield, not the infield. That is the way the game is played.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is one of those "life lessons" .

Your GDD made a commitment to the team. What do you want to teach her about commitments and promises? Under what circumstances is it OK for her to not honor commitments? Are sure you want to tell her it is OK to break a commitment because she wants to play 2B instead of CF?

Based upon your post, there is nothing to support her breaking her commitment. She is playing a valuable, important position.

I would tell her, "When you are on a team, you are expected to do what is best for the team. You have to learn to make the best of the situation."

More generally, the coach is telling your DD that she is an outfielder, not an infielder. Playing CF on a high level TB team is a compliment. Apparently, your DD is fast. If so, then she is needed in the outfield, not the infield. That is the way the game is played.
IMO, CF has a more important role than 2B. College coaches are not going around the country gushing over 2B players. They are looking for that impact player. CF, P, C, SS. A solid CF is hard to come by. If any of your kids play 2B as their primary position, do not take this the wrong way. Coaches put kids at 2B usually because their arms aren't quite as strong, but have good feet work. A good CF has a gun for an arm and can lead the OF.

Oct 3, 2019
I have always believed that a player commits for one season at a time. Sometimes it gets a little gray when a season could end at the end of summer or may end with the last fall tournament. Quitting a team mid season is not cool unless there is a compelling reason. Have your granddaughter stick it out until the season ends, then your a free agent.
Season is just beginning. First practice this weekend. Haven't played any games because of Covid. We're in CA.

Oct 3, 2019
IMO, CF has a more important role than 2B. College coaches are not going around the country gushing over 2B players. They are looking for that impact player. CF, P, C, SS. A solid CF is hard to come by. If any of your kids play 2B as their primary position, do not take this the wrong way. Coaches put kids at 2B usually because their arms aren't quite as strong, but have good feet work. A good CF has a gun for an arm and can lead the OF.
Actually, it's 3B. Team has a 3B entrenched there however.

Oct 3, 2019
14u, many of the girls might be playing HS, and may not be allowed, either by state rules, or HS coach, to play TB at same time. our 14u ran into this, only two HS girls, but HS coach has told them they cannot play both, they are sneaking to our practices and games when they can.
We were shut down due to Covid. No tournaments allowed in our surrounding coutnies. Just opening up now.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
Hope that they know the state rules. Some states you are not allowed to play both. If you do, that would make you an illegal player and all previous games played at HS would be forfeited.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi