What to expect from a 12u club team tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Can some coaches and parents give me some info. on what a typical 12U club ball tryout might consist of? What are coaches looking for? Is it scrimage, or do the kids have to show skills individually? Thanks
T

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
12U tryout

New England area 12U (we went to 5 team tryouts)
no scrimmages for DD last year at tryouts

Throwing and catching (really watched this)

Hitting was all soft toss, no pitching for batting (what we experienced)

Grounders (infield) mostly just throwing to 1st base
Fly balls, throwing to cut off ...

Pitchers / catchers pulled aside (or separate night), did not pitch to batters.
If not enough catchers, a pither got a coach or shared a catcher.

My DD is going to 14U this year and there are at least 10 teams within an hour of us. We will not tryout for all of them ... LOL

The CT Eliminators continue to be the reigning team (s) in our region.

Good luck with your tryouts ....

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) Time from home to first.
2) Use a speed gun to check throwing speed.
3) Pop up drill--You stand in front of the girl with her facing you. You toss a pop up behind her and to the right. The preferred method: Girl drop steps, runs like h*ll to where the ball will be, squares up her body, catches the ball on the throwing side of the body, uses two hands, is in a throwing position as soon as the ball hits her glove. Most 12Us won't be able to do this, but you get the idea. Do the same thing to her left.
4) Ground balls--does she circle the ball, get in front of the ball, use two hands, position right hand over top of glove, and come up in throwing position? DO NOT HAVE HER THROW THE BALL TO YOU. Have her throw to 1B.
5) Hit a slow roller--can she execute the "do or die" scoop?
6) Bunting: Can she bunt? Can she bunt down 3B line? Can she bunt down 1B line? Can she drag bunt?
7) hitting: check out her swing.
8) Put her at 2B and have her turn double plays.
9) Put her at 1B and toss her a pop up near the fence. Does she "find the fence, find the ball"? Or does she simply not go get the ball?

12Us won't be able to do everything. But, you can get an idea of what kind of skill-set and ability the girl has.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Yes, Eliminators were #1 Pony ... 12U and 14U ...

My DD's team gave them a hard time this past year beating them once ... the win was an incredible fluke ... but it was still a win. Kicked our butt the next day!

Pitchers are not fancy ... do not pitch a ton of pitches .... #1 has some definite speed .. but none are over 50.

They can hit, though....fielding is great as well.
Good coaching, great job of picking skill ... not much turnover on the 12U black team.
(I've heard rumors of unscrupulous behavior, but everyone always trying to knock down #1)(same kids on the team for years)

They had a pretty good showing in NC, huh?

Mar 11, 2009
thanks

fivepotsogold and sluggers thanks for the feedback. Now I know what to focus on before the tryouts. She has already demonstrated half the skills well, needs to work on some stuff though...TM:)

Jun 6, 2009
Can some coaches and parents give me some info. on what a typical 12U club ball tryout might consist of? What are coaches looking for? Is it scrimage, or do the kids have to show skills individually? Thanks
T

By club i'm assuming travel. In addition to what Ray said I usually had seperate section for pitchers and catchers in addition to the regular tryout. For dynamic warm-ups, I had a drill that was not commonly used. It had elements that most kids knew i just put it together in a sequence utilizing the diamond. It made the kids think on their feet.

The thing that I looked for more than anything else (besides talent) was what the kids did when they didn't have anything to do at the moment and when they thought no one was watching. To me, this was as revealing as anything else. I looked for things like; Did the kid or the parent carry their bag when coming from the car to the field. After they finished a drill did they hang out with the other kids or hang around their parents. Did they look to their parents for guidance or reassurance. Did they hang their bat bags or throw them in the dugout. I looked for their reactions when they were watching others make mistakes. Were they enthusiastic. Did they huslte to and from drills and between drills. I would also schedule a few minutes when there was nothing to do, just to see what the kids did when they thought it was time to relax a minute, etc.

Every coach/tryout is different and coaches place different emphasis on different things, Just make sure your kids know that someone could be watching before they even get out of the car till the time they get back in it to go home. How they treat their parents/other potential teamates/equipment etc. may count.

I should also add that how a parent acts could count as well. :)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What? No one mentioned how good looking the mom is? (sorry, old joke.)

Some coaches go into a lot more detail than others. I am not saying that either way in correct or incorrect.

I just look for girls that come ready to play, are coachable and have reasonable parents. (That narrows it down, quite a bit.)

If dad is there, chirping behind the backstop for 2 hours, that isn't a good sign.

Jun 6, 2009
What? No one mentioned how good looking the mom is? (sorry, old joke.)

Some coaches go into a lot more detail than others. I am not saying that either way in correct or incorrect.

I just look for girls that come ready to play, are coachable and have reasonable parents. (That narrows it down, quite a bit.)

If dad is there, chirping behind the backstop for 2 hours, that isn't a good sign.

You laugh.....I actually knew a coach who did take that into consideration, sad to say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413