What size of catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
My soon to be 13 year old has done some catching in local ball and would like to try at a higher level. She has been using a Mizuno first basman's mitt to this point, but to catch a 50-55 mph pitch, she will need a proper mitt. I see mitts that are 32.5" to 34". I am used to seeing gloves that are 12.5" to 14" for fielders. I am out of my element here. Any suggestions?

Sep 3, 2009
32-33 is probably a good bet for that age. Find something she is comfortable with. That is A # 1. And break it in, break it in very good. At that age, you might want to go with a mitt with a deep pocket. If she's "palming" the ball alot, be sure and get her a padded glove to wear inside the mitt. Comfort is the biggest thing with the position. If she's comfortable, she'll be better able to perform.
That 1st Baseman glove might serve her well, especially if it's broke in and she's used to it. If she's not complaining about the catches hurting, then I'd be slow to introduce something into the mix. If she's only complaining about a few pitches hurting a finger, or her palm, then get the padded glove.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Real Mitt

Agreed 32-33 is the right size. For the first mitt at her age, something in the $50-100 range (i.e., not entry level, not top of the line) should be fine and will last either until she decides its not for her or that a better, higher quality glove is appropriate for higher level play. IMO, at this price point, no brand is better than any other. Before you buy, suggest you have her try the model on and make sure the finger stalls and wrist closure are comfortable - regardless of model, the pocket will feel different from the 1B mitt she's used to. Also, pitching coaches, bucket dads/moms (pitchers' parents), and experienced catchers typically are a good source of used gloves - most will have a current favorite or gamer and an old back up or two and usually would be happy to let her try them out - make an offer if she find's one she likes or look for new in that model or brand!

In response to suggesting the continued use of the 1B mitt, DON'T DO IT. They make catchers mitts for a reason. Speaking from experience, it's painfull and difficult to catch and hit well when your thumb and/or hand is bruised - it won't get any better til the off season. If she wants to try catching at a higher level, then she really should be using a catchers mitt: 1) the sooner she gets used to it, the better; 1a) it won't take that long! 2) at 13, she'll soon be catching pitchers that require the padding that a 1B mitt doesn't have; 3) the length and shape of a 1B mitt doesn't promote and facilitate proper blocking technique; and, 4) at this age, once they try catching, they love it and end up catching til someone tells them its time to retire. I'm still attached to my 25-year old C mitts from college and HS!

Good luck! Greenmonsters:D

Sep 3, 2009
Greenmonsters, you're probably right about the 1st baseman's mitt. My DD is short and quick, so has no hope of ever being a 1st baseman. :D I'm not familiar with them, but looked one up and you're right, the shape is different.
As far as brands go, Akadema and Nokona both have some decent entry level mitts for around $80. My DD loves her Nokona 275. But she worked up to that one.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thanks a lot. I will let you know how things turn out. She starts indoor catching practice November 12. I will look for a Nokona I think. I have a line on a Easton Synergy that has been broken in so might give that a go......

Sep 3, 2009
If the Easton is comfortable to her, I'd go that route in the beginning especially since it's already broke in. Then she can concentrate on mechanics more than struggling to receive the ball and keep it in the mitt. You can also gauge her dedication. If she's taking to it well, then you can get her into something else.

W

waleeedijaz

Agreed 32-33 is the right size. For the first mitt at her age, something in the $50-100 range (i.e., not entry level, not top of the line) should be fine and will last either until she decides its not for her or that a better, higher quality glove is appropriate for higher level play. IMO, at this price point, no brand is better than any other. Before you buy, suggest you have her try the model on and make sure the finger stalls and wrist closure are comfortable - regardless of model, the pocket will feel different from the 1B mitt she's used to. Also, pitching coaches, bucket dads/moms (pitchers' parents), and experienced catchers typically are a good source of used gloves - most will have a current favorite or gamer and an old back up or two and usually would be happy to let her try them out - make an offer if she find's one she likes or look for new in that model or brand!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
waleeedijaz - Although your advice is pretty good, I'm guessing 3DD'sDAD has already made a decision. This thread is over 6 years old. ;)

Also...Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride!!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles