What pitch is a must have?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Having a disagreement with my DD. She wants to start working on off-season strength to add MPH. I think she needs to add another pitch first. Besides the fastball and change, what pitch is a must-have, especially to be recruited? She has 6 pitches by the way but is missing one key pitch in my opinion.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Peel drop...Rise (4 non-believers...a high "ChinMusic" inside ball) & a Change up. Must have the "Off the Table" drop !!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Off the Table

Off_the_Table.gif

this is the MUST HAVE...see how effortlessly she throws it.... it got the most work !!! Lookz like Cat...to Me :cool:

Top Drop

TopDrop.gif

Little harder... got to catch both corners.... inside pitch

Rise

Rise.gif

JOKE... My bungy cord wasn't showing up like in the first...

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
If she truly has 6 pitches then you probably would not be asking to add another pitch. If she has been shown 6 different pitches, chances are she has been shown incorrectly or cannot throw them correctly. My dd is a catcher and has caught many pitchers. The best pitchers she has caught have 3....maybe 4 pitches and hit their spots. Every pitcher she has caught that claims more pitches than 4 have not been very good in all honesty.

The best pitches to teach are pitches that change speed and levels. The obvious first pitch to teach is fastball. The second pitch to teach is a changeup that is not telegraphed....it should look just like the fastball. The third pitch to teach is a drop that really drops. When the pitcher can throw their fastball around 60 or higher, teach the riseball. The riseball truly does not rise.....the rising of the ball is an optical illusion and should appear to start in the strike zone and finish above the strike zone. These pitches should be mastered before implementing the next pitch. Every pitch in the arsenal should be thrown for both effect and accuracy. If a particular pitch cannot be thrown for effect and accuracy, then the pitcher does not "have" that particular pitch. Please do not think I am trying to be an a$$....I'm just trying to be totally honest and up front with you, something many pitching coaches are not.

BTW, never tell a college coach your dd has 6 different pitches. They don't like to hear stuff like that.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I believe you... Every pitch has VARIATION depending on the wind ect....you can go half a turn on your seams, and change the whole thing. You can learn Hal's aka to me and DD as HOW.... not to be confused w/ Howe...Flat Finger Knuckle Ball, it never does the same thing twice. ALMOST the go to...MUST HAVE, because DD can't wait to see what its going to do....she looks up at the clouds and says..."Help me HOW"
Its the same as throwing her "Off the Table Drop" just a different grip...

Only tell college coaches you'll get back with them... when they think they might make it to the regional's.... :cool:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She has 6 pitches by the way but is missing one key pitch in my opinion.

Geez...it is that time of the year again. I doubt your DD has six pitches. I question whether she has one breaking pitch.

She may "know how to throw 6 pitches", but I seriously doubt she "has" 6 pitches. "Having a pitch" means that she can control the location of each pitch. For a breaking pitch, she has to be able to make it break 99 out of a 100 times. "Break" does not mean 1 or 2 inches...break means 6 to 12 inches. If a drop ball doesn't "fall off the table", then it isn't going anywhere.

People who have been here a while know this, but I'll say it again for CoachPete: My DD was an all-conference D1 pitcher. She had a fastball and a drop ball. It was a really, really good drop. She also "kinda sorta" threw a curveball.

So, Pete, what you should really do is take off the "Daddy Colored Glasses" or get someone neutral to evaluate her pitches. Find out which of her *VERTICALLY* breaking pitches (rise or drop) is close to being "good" and then develop that one.

Try to develop 3 pitches: a fastball with super accuracy, a change and one vertically breaking pitch.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan