what is an appealable play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
Can a judgement call be appealed? I'v always thought that a judgement call could not be appealed, is there anytime when it could be?

Example....seen it happen

bang bang play at 3rd base and FU calls girls out or save your choice. Team that the call went against calls time and talks to field ump and ask FU to consults with PU and they do then call is reversed. Call right or wrong this is not supposed to happen right?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is not really an appeal and no you cannot appeal judgment calls.

You can ask the umpire to consult their other partner(s) for help, like asking the PU to check with the base umpire on a check swing. They might say no then the play stands or they might ask the other umpire. Totally up to them.

Oct 18, 2009
I don't know what the exact wording is here, it's not an appeal; but the umpire can ask for help from his partner in the spirit of trying to get the call right. It is up to the ump if they think they need help or not.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
What is being described is not an appeal. You may ask the umpire who made the call to confer with their partner(s) in order to gain information they might not have had which could affect the call that was made. The umpire DOES NOT have to ask for help. If the umpire feels they had all the information and made the proper call they do not have to ask for help.
Perfect example from this weekend: I (BU) am in C position (in between SS and 2nd base). R1 on 2B. Ball hit to F6. Fielder attempts a tag, misses, and throws to 1st in an attempt to retire BR. Throw pulls F3 off the bag but she recovers in time to step on the bag (from my POV). Ball is returned to the circle and defensive coach asks for time. Coach asks me to go to my partner (PU) for help. I say "I will ask him if he saw something I did not." My partner tells me that F3 did not step on the base - therefore the BR is safe. We break the huddle & I announce that the BR is safe at 1st. Did I have to ask my partner for any help? No. However, I felt that there was information missing and I needed to ask my partner for help. Judgment calls can be overturned if the umpire making the call gets information they did not have.
Smart coaches know how and when to ask an umpire to go for help. Good umpires will have no problem asking for help when they may need it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The key is, asking the ump who made the call to ask his partner if he saw it differently. Then let them have their conversation. You cannot yell to the plate umpire and tell him to straighten out his partner, or vice versa.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Perfect example from this weekend: I (BU) am in C position (in between SS and 2nd base). R1 on 2B. Ball hit to F6. Fielder attempts a tag, misses, and throws to 1st in an attempt to retire BR. Throw pulls F3 off the bag but she recovers in time to step on the bag (from my POV). Ball is returned to the circle and defensive coach asks for time. Coach asks me to go to my partner (PU) for help. I say "I will ask him if he saw something I did not." My partner tells me that F3 did not step on the base - therefore the BR is safe. We break the huddle & I announce that the BR is safe at 1st. Did I have to ask my partner for any help? No. However, I felt that there was information missing and I needed to ask my partner for help. Judgment calls can be overturned if the umpire making the call gets information they did not have.
Smart coaches know how and when to ask an umpire to go for help. Good umpires will have no problem asking for help when they may need it.

So is this an example of a coach who was not smart?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA