What does "push" mean to you?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
IMO, you need to understand exactly what is being described as a 'push' ... and where in the swing you are speaking of.

IMO, someone initiating a swing with a 'push' is making a mistake. For me .... I want the force couple type feel of the hands turning the barrel at swing initiation ... and not a 'push'.

From the power-vee at 'launch' to the power-vee at the 'RVP Connection Point Position' are you really 'pushing' .... that isn't my feel.

Perhaps the confusion comes from the 'RVP Connection Point Position Point' onwards ..... clearly extension is in progress here .... the hands in a sense are working away from the body's rotation and then releasing the barrel.

Bat drag being the hands losing ground with the bodies rotation, or the hands losing ground with the bodies rotation, very bad.

But what Cabrera is doing with his hands appears to be Leading the bodies rotation.
And the swing that Williams is describing as the "push type swing" and from his images, sure looks like Cabrera's beautiful short swing.

another area of Push, might be from the word you use "Release" as I can swing using force (firm) with my wrists, through contact and beyond, or I can Pivot the barrel and then release, or I can just whip the barrel. I can release at any time in the swing.

Would using force also be push?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann, 'bat drag' is not simply the hands losing ground with the body's rotation ....... to describe 'bat drag' that way would be to state that the role of the hands is simply to hold onto the handle of the bat. What leads to 'bat drag' isn't keeping of the hands back, but the failure to use the hands properly.

What I meant by the portion of my post that you 'bolded' is simply the following.

Between 'launch', and the 'RVP Connection Point Position', the hands are in a sense sucked into the body's rotation .....

30agpxg.gif

only to be directed away from the body's rotation .....

2itrkia.gif

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I would agree with RHC in some regards I view it as a top down swing, also the initial move of the hands would be forward as opposed to some sort of turning the barrell action and slotting the rear elbow, there are still some people out there who advocate and teach a jab with the knob towards the ball, this to me would definitely promote a push as I see it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would agree with RHC in some regards I view it as a top down swing, also the initial move of the hands would be forward as opposed to some sort of turning the barrell action and slotting the rear elbow, there are still some people out there who advocate and teach a jab with the knob towards the ball, this to me would definitely promote a push as I see it.

Hopefully not what you meant to say:
the initial move of the hands would be forward
The initial move of the hands is to 'turn the barrel to the ball'.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The hands are a rotation points, I should say wrists included. They function to pass momentum from the body into the bat. There is linkage that makes up the hands as a rotation. Such as the clip above of all the linkage being pulled tighter as the elbow lowers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g