What age did you buy a nicer catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2022
Moving from 12u to 14u in the fall, used the team mitt while she broke it in. She caught for the varsity pitcher during her winter lessons and that really helped the pocket

Nov 15, 2019
We bought a liberty advanced catcher's mitt when DD was almost 14. I think that was a pretty good choice for that age, it was easy to break in and lasted about 2 1/2 years. We then bought an A 2000. We would've preferred a Heart of Hide but ended up getting the A 2000 for a really good price.

Jan 22, 2011
47. One of the pitchers started throwing 45mph+ and got really good at hitting the thumb of my Akadema when I caught her. Went with a Liberty Advanced I’m still using.

Jan 25, 2022
You’re kidding right? Please tell me you’re kidding!

I don't know if this is a joke or not because IIRC you're the glove connoisseur around here and a GG seems beneath you...but yes. Hard as a rock. I wouldn't buy another one. I mentioned it at Dick's a few days ago when I was looking for a catcher's mitt and he said the GG's are hit and miss as far as stiffness goes. Said some come in there feeling fairly normal, and some feel like a whole other caliber of tough leather. I've had my hands on one other one on the field and it took the same amount of time to break in. The kid didnt use it the whole season, same as mine.

Jan 25, 2022
I broke my GG Elite in after about two days. Are we talking about the Dick's exclusive gloves? If so, they're not exactly Horween.
Yeah the Dick's exclusive. There's not another GG elite other than at Dick's is there? We don't have many options in this area for gloves to try. Basically it's the $50 beginner models, then GG, Mizuno MVP Prime, and the A2000. Any other sporting goods stores within an hour of here carry less than that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi