We need a new catcher's bag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
We need a new catcher's bag. Does anyone have any thoughts between these two? I found an old post regarding catcher bags but most of the replies are from 2010-2011. Maybe some of you still have those bags and can update on how they've held up. I've narrowed down my choice between the:

Maxballbags Cobra XL
Maxballbags Cobra XL Catchers roller bat bags

maxballbags.jpg

or

Boombah Beast
2013 Beast Bag

boombah beast.jpeg

I've ruled out the No Errors and Tanel 360 Rage. I've cross-posted this in the catcher's forum. Thanks!

Jun 21, 2010
This one over the Beast.

Brute Rolling Bat Bag

DD used both. The Maxball bag was floppy and rocks and clay got stuck in the wheels. She got tired of that quick. The Brute has a sturdy plastic bottom and wheels never got clogged with rocks or dirt/clay. One giant pocket for all the catching gear. Room for at least two bats. More than enough room.

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for your help CPSBDad. Was there something about the slightly smaller Brute (35" x 15" x 12.5") you liked better than the slightly larger Beast (40" x 14" x 13")? Did the Beast have one giant pocket as well. The Beast looks like it's shaped more like a player bag whereas the Brute is more rectangular like an equipment bag.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We have two Beast bags. Both are less than 6 months old but I really like the layout of the bag and the location of the zipper pockets. Lined pocket for sunglasses, pocket for slides/cleats, batting glove pocket in both slots for bats, hold at least four bats, top pocket for gloves, and a large opening for helmets and gear. Comes in many color options.

Jun 21, 2010
I'm sorry. I meant she had the Maxball and the Brute. We didn't try the Beast. We/she wanted a bag that didn't have all the pockets. Just one large pocket for all her gear. There is a smaller pocket on the top for her sunglasses and some other smaller stuff she dragged around. The pocket on the bottom wasn't used for anything. Very well made. For years she looked for a bag for all her catching gear. Sometimes she would carry two bags. Other's she would have to manipulate her gear just perfectly to make it fit. The Brute fixed all that.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Its not nearly as fancy or as colorful, but a military grade black duffel bag can be bought at an army/navy store for about $40. This is not the upright green duffle we see a lot of. Its a traditional duffel used in a lot of airborne units. Very heavy grade canvas with lockable zippers and heavy duty metal shoulder strap rings, capable of carrying well over 100lbs.. The bag is about 40" long, 25"wide and around 25" deep. By far the best bag I've ever used. I found it while cleaning out my garage! I had been through three bags in two seasons due to ripped out shoulder strap rings. I just wish I had used my old duffel sooner.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD has used the Easton Durabag Team bag for the last year and a half. Talk about huge. It has a solid bottom with two stiiffening rails, wide set tires so it's more stable than conventional catchers bags, wide slotted wheels so they don't pick up extra detritus, a large pocket for cleats on the front, slide out handle, two large side pockets for sunglasses and such and one big main one that fits all of her catchers gear including helmet, batting helmet, batting gloves and other things with room to spare and the bottom pocket will fit 8 bats. It's made it this long and realistically will probably go another year or so before there's holes in the bottom.

Apr 25, 2010
The Maxball bag and the Boombah bag are identical. Both made by Maxball. They are fantastic and can fit a medium sized teenager in it.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I am sold on the Maxball bag...DD is on her second but only because she changed teams and the colors didn't match. The first is still in the basement and that was after two year. No tears or broken zippers or wheels. The second bag is on it's second season and looks great.

I could see where one big pocket may seem appealing until you are digging though discarded under armour, sweatshirt and slides to get to something at the bottom. DD uses the pockets and knows where to find everything in a second.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If you had a location in your profile and were near me, I would give you a bag that would be ideal for you. I have like 40 huge Worth Equip bags I have sitting around.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01