Umpires-how do you like catchers to set up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
First picture looks like the umpire is turned almost completey sideways and is bending forward at the waist. He is more or less in the slot but not in the recommended heel/toe stance. 2nd photo is different angle, but he does appear to be in the recommended heel/toe stance, is bent at the knees with a slight forward tilt of the torso and in good position. He does look like he may be back a little far behind the catcher, but that may be an optical illusion from the angle and camera lens.

But, you can see in both photos if the catcher moved over and crowded the inside corner they would be right in front of the umpire. Unless you have a lefty catcher with a right handed batter the catcher really does not need to crowd the inside corner. They can reach almost to the outside of the batters box from directly behind the plate.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Umpires-how do you like catchers to set up so you can have the best view of the zone/plate. I umpired my first games yesterday behind the plate to help myself as a coach better understand the umpires point of view.

All four catchers in the club set up slightly different which I noticed changed my point of view and in one case made seeing every pitch difficult (especially curve ball.)

If you as an umpire could tell every catcher how to set up to help you get a good read on every pitch how would you do it?

Help me teach my catchers to give the umpires the best point of view.

It depends on the pitch and the location. Elite level catchers are masters at moving the umpire into a position that benefits the pitcher. I work extensively with our catchers on this as it can have a huge impact on the game. Take a curve ball outside (RHP to RHB). If the umpire is set up outside he has a great view of the pitch. But if we can get him over the plate or better yet get him set up inside that curve that is just off the river is now a called strike.

Consider 100 pitches in a game with 65 strikes for a strike percentage of 65%. If a catcher can get 5 - 7 extra strikes by great framing and other techniques now we are at 70 - 72% which may not seem like much but is pretty significant.

Ever wonder why you are not getting that call on the pitch that has worked well all season. Maybe take a look at where the umpire has setup.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
It depends on the pitch and the location. Elite level catchers are masters at moving the umpire into a position that benefits the pitcher. I work extensively with our catchers on this as it can have a huge impact on the game. Take a curve ball outside (RHP to RHB). If the umpire is set up outside he has a great view of the pitch. But if we can get him over the plate or better yet get him set up inside that curve that is just off the river is now a called strike.

Consider 100 pitches in a game with 65 strikes for a strike percentage of 65%. If a catcher can get 5 - 7 extra strikes by great framing and other techniques now we are at 70 - 72% which may not seem like much but is pretty significant.

Ever wonder why you are not getting that call on the pitch that has worked well all season. Maybe take a look at where the umpire has setup.

How would you dictate where the umpire sets up? Framing I understand but if umpires are taught to set up in the slot how do you get him to shift to the outside for that curve ball?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
How would you dictate where the umpire sets up? Framing I understand but if umpires are taught to set up in the slot how do you get him to shift to the outside for that curve ball?

My last post may have been confusing. We want the umpire in the slot. We do not want the catcher in the slot. It is not as much about moving the umpire as it is staying out of their way (not standing up) and changing the perspective.

Catchers do this by how they position their bodies by expanding their left and right movement. Take the example of a outside pitch to right handed batter. If the catcher set up a bit wider the umpire has two options.

#1 Move to the outside shoulder of the catcher where they will no longer be behind the plate

#2 Move to the inside shoulder of the catcher where they are behind plate or just a tad inside.

More often than not they will choose #2 because that is where they should be.

So catcher moves wide umpire stays over plate. Pitch comes in and now instead of my right handed catcher reaching across her body to catch ball in front of right shoulder she now reaches straight out, sticks pitch catching the outside of ball in front of her left shoulder.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
My last post may have been confusing. We want the umpire in the slot. We do not want the catcher in the slot. It is not as much about moving the umpire as it is staying out of their way (not standing up) and changing the perspective.

Catchers do this by how they position their bodies by expanding their left and right movement. Take the example of a outside pitch to right handed batter. If the catcher set up a bit wider the umpire has two options.

#1 Move to the outside shoulder of the catcher where they will no longer be behind the plate

#2 Move to the inside shoulder of the catcher where they are behind plate or just a tad inside.

More often than not they will choose #2 because that is where they should be.

So catcher moves wide umpire stays over plate. Pitch comes in and now instead of my right handed catcher reaching across her body to catch ball in front of right shoulder she now reaches straight out, sticks pitch catching the outside of ball in front of her left shoulder.

A well trained umpire will NOT adjust based on what you described. The slot is the slot. Umpires are trained to align their inside ear with the inside edge of the plate. They are not trained to move with the catcher.

Casey

Make it fun to compete
Mar 2, 2012
Whatever you train your catchers to do, DO NOT have them shift their body to the outside of the plate to provide an outside target if the pitchers are inaccurate. Umpires stay in the slot, and don't appreciate being exposed to inside fastballs out of a catchers' reach. When I see this sitch, I line up directly behind the catcher, and save myself a beaning or worse. An inside pitch in that scenario means a passed ball, and not a sore ball : /

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A well trained umpire will NOT adjust based on what you described. The slot is the slot. Umpires are trained to align their inside ear with the inside edge of the plate. They are not trained to move with the catcher.

True. But most umpires are not well trained. We are indeed fortunate when one of the few that is ends up behind the plate.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Train your catcher the NECC way and you will have a well-protected umpire that can focus on doing their job to the best of their abiity.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I understand and agree with the NECC info. My intent here was to understand from an umpires point of view.

And you are correct riseball-we do get a few inexperienced umpires. I say stick with proper mechanics and focus on quality umpires point of view. Eventually you age out of the inexp umpires.

Jun 22, 2008
Framing was mentioned in an earlier post, here is a good website article on it. Sticking a pitch and holding it for a brief moment for the umpire to look at it is fine, but moving the glove after catching the ball does nothing but tell the umpire the catcher didnt think the pitch was a strike.

Don't Ever Let Your Catchers Frame a Pitch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole