Umpire Ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
I can't make this crap up. This is an actual ruling in a game tonight.

Here's the situation. 12u game. Bottom of the last inning. Runners on 2 and 3. Fielding team up 1. Ball in play by the batter. The ball is played at 1 batter out. The ball is then sent home where my daughter is catching. Not in time. The baserunner leaving third doesn't slide. Instead she steps over my daughters leg who is blocking the line as the ball is coming in.

I have no issue with his judgement that she was in the line early even though the ball was airborne and on the way home.

She could be called for obstruction. But... He calls me over and tells me that she is not allowed to step into the field, between the base paths without the ball. My catcher is now not allowed to be a fielder. I argued and told him that he can't just make up rules but he insisted. The field umpire won't overturn after discussion.

Of course. The next batter hit the ball to the pitcher. The runner leaves third. My DD steps up into the field of play to receive the ball in plenty of time to make the play. Runner did not cross the plate. And returned to 3.

DD was called for obstruction. Because she entered the field of play without the ball. Runner is given home. Game over.

This insane call is the type that frustrates parents and coaches. It also makes other idiots think that they should argue with all umpires. There has to be a better way.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Assuming this is a leaque game.

Most Leagues have written local rules and unwritten local rules that can put the umpire in a bad position trying to figure out how to implement. I would try to figure out what the unwritten local rules are.

Sep 29, 2014
Unfortunately some leagues even have no protest clauses...in the case you need to do a couple things.

First if your league allows you could have protested...guessing you did not so it is too late and just chalk it up to lesson learned, I have actually never formally protested (threatened to resulting in calling UIC to come over and resolving to my satisfaction), I did let a couple things go that could have easily been protest wins but simply just was not worth time and effort (in some cases money). League game is probably one of those scenarios.

Next thing is talk to your commissioner at make sure he brings this up to the UIC or whoever is responsible for running the local umpires group that assigns your games. I would get something in writing an email chain works great.

Finally even though you were probably not in the right frame of mind since it was the last play of the game, let the umpire know that you will happily reread the rules and would hope that he would honestly do the same and touch base next time you see him (assuming you will see him again if it is a league game) this does depend a lot on your rapport with the umpires but I have had more than one apology the next time that umpire had one of our games, umpires are people too and most of them are just trying to do their best (yes there are a couple egomaniacs that just want to be in charge of something but that is the exception)

Logic like...how does the Catcher field a bunt if she can't enter the field of play without the ball or what happens if there is a rundown between 3B and home or if it is a pop up in front of the plate probably won't clue him in. Sad thing is the UIC during his monthly meeting was probably making a point of emphasis to his crews about keeping girls safe and avoiding collisions at the plate and this umpire simply misunderstood what the instructor was trying to explain.

Last edited: