UCLA vs LSU Obstruction Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
For most national championships they select the best of the best officials. It appears that this is not the case in the WCWS. I also have to wonder if some umpires have been selected more based on gender and not experience and demonstrated ability. Yeah, I went there but even DW and DD are with me on this one.

Jun 22, 2008
Not that it would make any difference in the Florida/LSU game at this point, but missed call in 2nd inning. LSU had runner on 3rd, 1 out, fly ball hit over 3rd base dugout. Florida F5 leans over railing and catches ball, then falls over and places hands on dugout floor to stop her fall. Should ahve been a catch and carry and LSU runner awarded home.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Tarr needs to learn how to argue a call. Asking for clarification and saying "ok"? WTH? Ask for help from U3, who had a great view of the player running out of the base path.
I also saw discrepancies in the strike zone. I can see why ESPN no longer has their K-zone active. The umpires are getting a C- grad so far, and I'm giving them the benefit of doubt.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The catcher could have avoided any possibility of obstruction if she had set up in front of the plate to receive the throw.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For most national championships they select the best of the best officials. It appears that this is not the case in the WCWS. I also have to wonder if some umpires have been selected more based on gender and not experience and demonstrated ability. Yeah, I went there but even DW and DD are with me on this one.

I did not watch the game but just this call seems to have different opinions and we are watching it over and over again and in slow motion to derive our opinion.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I did not watch the game but just this call seems to have different opinions and we are watching it over and over again and in slow motion to derive our opinion.

I do not fault the umpire for making the obstruction call in real time and I hope future catchers learn a lesson about where to set up to receive the throw to avoid any chance of obstruction. Some of the ball and strike calls are still horrible though. I have not seen the strike zone superimposed on the screen this year, but last year it exposed some of the umpires as being incompetent.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not that it would make any difference in the Florida/LSU game at this point, but missed call in 2nd inning. LSU had runner on 3rd, 1 out, fly ball hit over 3rd base dugout. Florida F5 leans over railing and catches ball, then falls over and places hands on dugout floor to stop her fall. Should ahve been a catch and carry and LSU runner awarded home.

So I understand, the issue here is that their foot did on come down in field of play first? If that is true is it just 1 foot that needs to come down in field of play?

(Thinking about it, try #2. Batter out, once player leaves field of play dead ball runners awarded 1 base?)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
So I understand, the issue here is that their foot did on come down in field of play first? If that is true is it just 1 foot that needs to come down in field of play?

(Thinking about it, try #2. Batter out, once player leaves field of play dead ball runners awarded 1 base?)

As long as the fielder was established in live ball territory prior to the catch it is a legal catch. Just like an outfielder making a leaping catch of a ball going over the outfield fence for a possible home run. As long as the outfielder was established in live ball territory prior to the catch, the catch is legal even if they land in dead ball territory. But, after the catch if the fielder touches dead ball territory with any part of their body, it becomes a catch and carry and assuming less than 2 outs any runners on base would be advanced 1 base on the catch and carry.

Nov 29, 2009
I do not fault the umpire for making the obstruction call in real time and I hope future catchers learn a lesson about where to set up to receive the throw to avoid any chance of obstruction. Some of the ball and strike calls are still horrible though. I have not seen the strike zone superimposed on the screen this year, but last year it exposed some of the umpires as being incompetent.

What do the NCAA umpires get paid for doing a game during the regular season? Google shows $60 - $120 a game. I'm guessing it's more during post season and the WCWS. I know a guy who ref's men's college basketball. He gets $2500 a game, but all the expenses come out of it because he has to travel all over the country. He told me he is evaluated regularly.

Unfortunately, the umpires for softball are the best amateur umpires around. They are not making a living umpiring softball games. It can be a nice secondary income.

Maybe comp or one of the other guys who do college games can answer this. Is there any yearly training or evaluations required of umpires in the NCAA? Are they evaluated on their strike/ball calling consistency with a pitch tracking system? Or is it once they are certified they are good for life? I'm not sure. That's why I'm asking.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As long as the fielder was established in live ball territory prior to the catch it is a legal catch. Just like an outfielder making a leaping catch of a ball going over the outfield fence for a possible home run. As long as the outfielder was established in live ball territory prior to the catch, the catch is legal even if they land in dead ball territory. But, after the catch if the fielder touches dead ball territory with any part of their body, it becomes a catch and carry and assuming less than 2 outs any runners on base would be advanced 1 base on the catch and carry.

Play is over, ball is dead once they leave field of play?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish