Two slow motion college HR swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I thought I would post a couple of HR swings from the UGA softball classic on Saturday, February 16th. Temperatures were in the high 30s but it was extremely windy.

This is a HR by freshman and 2012 Gatorade POY Geri Ann Glasco against MTSU over the RF fence. It was her fifth HR of the season so far.

Glasco HR vs. MTSU 021613 - YouTube

This is a HR by senior Meghan Lamberth of Northwestern against MTSU over the LF fence. It was her second of the season.

Lamberth HR vs. MTSU 021613 - YouTube

The shots were recorded by my Casio EX-F1 at 300 fps. Let me know your thoughts.

Coach Danny

Jul 9, 2012
3 comments, 1. The pitchers set up is odd with the pigeon toed feet.
2. MTSU must have serious pitching problems
3. What is up with all the home runs already this season, missouri has hit 14 in 4 ballgames?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Thanks for the videos of the girls.
It is refreshing to try to model our daughters swings to some or all of the mechanics of girls that presently play.

Nice clear video. Good job

I like swing 2 on how the lower half works. I also like her toe touch with the bent knee and inside of the foot when she steps out.
Very close to how I try to teach her lower half mechanics.

SL

Last edited:

AtlantaHitDoc

Coaching and Loving it!
Dec 19, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Here's another from Geri Ann hitting one in her next AB against MTSU that was caught at the fence in CF. Wind was blowing hard on Saturday and this was a high fastball that everyone thought was gone but it got blown back in.

Glasco shot to fence - YouTube

Also, you can PM me if you want me to send you the files. They are large (3-7 mb) but folks usually like to have them to demo for their girls. I check my PMs about once a week so I'll eventually get them to you.

Coach Danny

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

barrelturn_zps6fef599b.gif

In the top video, I teach upper body mechanics very similar to this. She stays connected.
I believe in bat lag...Where the bat is parallel to the ground for a short period of time. I dont see that in the HI demo.
She turns and holds on maintaining the box around the corner and then releases the hammer(bathead) to impact.
Do all you HI guys that are on this site, see the second video/HI mechanics, in this swing posted above it.
And if so what part?

Bat Lag
Bat20Lag.jpg

CaseyversesPurcellMarion.jpg

The difference in bat lag from casey to bonds is she did not get her hips along farther by getting her back foot off the ground. We have worked on that.

SL

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I'm not an HI guy, but I see some of what is posted in the bottom video. I see a little bit of barrel turn (bat moves from an "upright" position in the stance to a more angled "rearward turn" by the :02 mark), but because the pitch is high, the elbow/bat path action isn't the same as the HI video clip.

I also see good use of the front-side pull by the obliques on the top hitter. She's in a really powerful position for a high pitch at contact. They look like great mechanics to me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2012
barrelturn_zps6fef599b.gif

SL and O'Leary, realize that this is an isolated upper body demo that has a completely different look when you add the SnF engine. The principle demonstrated is key to hitting the ball deep. The principle being demonstrated (out from the body) allows for so much more adjustablity than swinging "around" the body.

Bat lag is needed, the bat can be parallel to the ground but does not have to be....the most important thing is WHEN.

If the barrel is dropped to soon you get drag, which is bad. The lag position and parallel bat (if you want it) should only be after the hands have passed the hips.

Watch both Glasco clips they are at the extremes of the strike zone top and bottom in both instances her hands are well past her hips when you see the bat near parallel, even the low pitch she actually drops her hand alot instead of using bat angle (more than I would teach but hey in this instance I would probably use a if it is not broke don't fix it approach) and is almost parallel hands mid thighs on a knee high pitch but the lag and parallel position is still when hands are well past her hips.

Awesome video by the way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff