Tryout thoughts (sorry for length)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
In our organization, if you're not known and already in touch with the coach before tryouts, odds are you're wasting your time. Our Gold team is done with recruiting long before tryouts start. Those coaches are only at the tryouts to provide feedback to the lower level teams and maybe see the one rare diamond in the rough.

If your daughter is one of those diamonds, Orange Socks is right...you need to get seen in other ways. Talk to the coaches beforehand, get in the loop. I guess some people do get "lucky", but most people make their own luck.

Conversely, people need to recognize their DD's skill level. We've had some girls try out for Gold and Elite level teams that can't catch a fly ball, or hit a front tossed pitch from a coach. Be realistic. I fully believe there's a place for everyone to play, but there's no reason to waste your time or anyone else's by going to a top tier organization and hoping for a miracle. Not saying this is your kid, but it amazes me that people do this.

Very true. I assess my DD's talents as fairly as I can, of course I also don't want to discourage her and tell her she can't try out for a gold team because she isn't good enough. Fine line. Same with college, if she picked a smaller local DIII school then maybe she has a shot to play. A bigger D1 no chance, but if it has her major and she rates it high on her list then go for it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If she is playing school ball, that is a great way to network.

Some of the intangibles that have been brought up will be mentioned to the coaches by other players and parents.

Jun 11, 2013
Ball sports are very tough to hold tryouts. There aren't enough reps to really determine which player is better. As some have said
there are ones that are really open and others that are for show or other reasons. Keep showing up and try and get known in your area
and the opportunities will come. It's actually pretty good practice for when you get out of school and go on job interviews. There are often
jobs that they have to interview X people but it's already been decided. You still go after it hard because you never know.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Yea, softball community is small. You have to get your dd's name out there. I made a post a while back about "are you showboat parent?" Purpose of that thread was getting people to understand that its ok for you to take your dd out and let her being seen. Break it down for her and let her know that this is life. Life isnt fair. It will throw bricks, wrenches or whatever else it may find. Job interviews are the same way. Top companies are looking for the best.

How are you going to stand out??

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Yea, softball community is small. You have to get your dd's name out there. I made a post a while back about "are you showboat parent?" Purpose of that thread was getting people to understand that its ok for you to take your dd out and let her being seen. Break it down for her and let her know that this is life. Life isnt fair. It will throw bricks, wrenches or whatever else it may find. Job interviews are the same way. Top companies are looking for the best.

How are you going to stand out??

Even though my DD only has one year under her belt of TB, I am not at all intimidated to text/email coaches. I always mention that she's a lefty catcher, and that seems to catch people's attention. Sometimes, for the worse (I wrote a post about that a week or so ago), but forget those guys (better to weed them out early). I've had some great conversations with high-level coaches. Regardless of what team she winds up on, I think people will remember her. I think we will have contacted or seen probably 15 coaches by the time it's said and done. The ones you don't respond? Well, too bad; lost their chance.

Apr 3, 2013
I know everybody's experience is different and the level of play may make a difference. But from a previous tryout and again this year as first year 14U my DD had made an impression by the way she handled herself in talking with the coaches and other players. She is not the most athletic or fast (pretty slow, at least home to first, her home to home times are actually just below average) and has an average glove. She pitches ok and has a decent bat. But she been offered at every tryout she has ever attended. Even two when I thought the overall strength of the teams and other girls trying out looked better. But the coaches have all said its because she is respectful, coachable, and has some knowledge of what to do when they ask her situational questions.

A friend who's daughter is the #1 pitcher on a team she tried out for said the coaches moved my DD up their board and scratched off girls who scored higher athletically strictly because of her great attitude with them during the tryout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Closing the loop.. DD accepted an offer from the "lesser" team, she seems content in her choice, but realized that she has some work to do this winter. So a bit of a blessing in disguise. Dear Old Dad can tell her what she needs to work on, but when she sees or hears it from a coach she is trying out for it hits home.

Thanks for all of the replies and advice DFP-ers!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
To all the parents going through the tryout circuit, take comfort in the fact that it gets easier as they get older. I think 12U/14U is probably the pinnacle of the number of girls playing softball. By 18U most tryouts are phone calls from coaches because they already know the players.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
To all the parents going through the tryout circuit, take comfort in the fact that it gets easier as they get older. I think 12U/14U is probably the pinnacle of the number of girls playing softball. By 18U most tryouts are phone calls from coaches because they already know the players.

As my grandmother used to say, "From your mouth to God's ears!"

Oct 7, 2014
Upper Midwest
Writing to say thank you to the OP. Spent the last 2 days from 3:30 - 9 on hot, dusty fields. After a long day at work. This is my least favorite time of the year. Doing my best to assess too many players in too few reps (the cattle call). Sometimes for weak players that are struggling their way through a tryout their parents arranged. Sometimes finding players that are a better fit, and making the difficult decision to cut girls (and their families) we've spent 1-3 years with nights and weekends. The original post and DFP replies helped me work even harder to be polite, welcoming and considerate as I make difficult decisions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06