Too Much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
My GDD played in a three day tournament last weekend in which her team played seven games. She left Monday and did a four day intense softball camp. Next week her team will practice on Wed. and then do a travel overnight tournament on Sat-Sun. The team will take two days off on Mon and Tues (although she will probably want to see her personal batting coach on Mon night). On Wed. the team starts a local five day tournament with 41 teams entered in her 12u group. She just informed her dad that after this tournament, on Mon, she wants to do a five day day camp at a local college. The next week personal coach on Mon and two team practices before they head to the beach for a seven day world tournament.

This sounds like a lot of softball, especially in this southern heat and humidity. She does eat right and hydrates really well. She loves softball and always gives 100%, 100% of the time.

I am concerned about her health and safety. What is your opinion of this much softball for a 12yo? What about my health and safety trying to keep up with her?:D

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO camps are for winter down time. I'm sure she will benefit from the camps, but at 12, does the benefit outweigh the risk of health and plain burn out.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
TG - I don't understand why you have to go to all of this. Are you raising her?

When I was 12, I would have loved to do all of that. Women have only had these opportunities for the last 40 years, which isn't very long.

She is asking to do it and that means a lot.

Nov 29, 2009
It sounds like this girl is on a mission. She has her sights set on something and knows what it takes to get there. I wouldn't want to stand in her way. She'd run you right over. It's an intense schedule. There are a couple of the personal trainer days I would cut out. Especially with the multi-day training camps.

Jan 25, 2011
I don't see a problem with this.She could be doing far worst things with her time.I would say yes,if it was a parent forcing her to do this,but if she wants to do all that,and you have the time and $ to do it, more power to her.I often wonder if this was a boy wanting to do this,lets say for football would anybody see a problem?

Sep 3, 2009
I would say it depends on who is initiating all of it. If it's the parents, then they need to be cautious. If she is asking for it, then clearly she's not burned out or her body isn't wearing down. If it was either of those two things, then she'd certainly tell you. Sounds like you've got a very determined 12yo on your hands. Nurture the fire.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Thanks for all your answers. That is why I love this board, great discussions from experienced people.

No, I am not raising her, as a matter of fact, I live about 250 miles away. But I visit her quite often and go to most of her tournaments. Being retired has its benefits. But I still think and worry about her a lot. Just knowing what her schedule is wears me out.

I seek valuable answers from this board because when I grew up it was my brother and me. Then I had two boys. Now I have two granddaughters and this girl thing is new to me. I always thought they were beautiful and fragile.:D When my boys were growing up, I coached them in baseball, basketball, soccer and even a little track. All this was in rec leagues and all star teams. We didn't even know what travel ball was. And when fastpitch girls softball started in our area I was one that said it would not last, they couldn't play it. Like they say, live and learn.

My son and I talk quite a bit about her and he seeks my advice. After all I am the old and wise one. If he only knew. So I give him the best answers that I can and this board helps a lot. She is the one who wants to do this and is very dedicated to it. I talk to her in a round about way to make sure she is doing softball because she wants to and not for us. If she decided today that she did not want to do softball anymore, her parents and I would back her 100% and would support her in whatever she decided to do. We do like all the friends that she is making and all those little life's lessons that she doesn't even know she is learning. We just want her to be the best that she can be, become a better person and enjoy what she is doing. And if she is so busy with softball, she doesn't have time to think about boys!

Again, thanks for the answers you have given to me and others, not only in this post but others as well. When I quit learning, that is when I want to pass on to the world above.

Oh, and thank you Amy, I have not been called TG in years. Brought back many good memories.

------------------
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Easy answer. Drink plenty of liquids. Stay in the shade as much as possible. Enjoy a favorite beverage during the personal coach session. Take lots of pictures/video. Oh, and for her, tell her I said keep up the good work.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Her drive is impressive and very commendable especially during the months where she can get outside. If she's resting her arm and taking care of her body resonsibly there is absolutely no problem with where she is. She has obvious goals and a desire to be the best softball player she can be and I can only assume that her drive in softball is also a drive she has with her family and her school work. You should be very proud of her and make sure she is the driving force for her desire. If that's the case she'll let you know when she's ready to back off!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
It's not too much if she enjoys doing it and it's not taking away from her school work. Is she on summer break from school? Some girls like playing softball as much as boys like playing baseball or grown men like playing golf or hunting.

If she isn't doing all this softball she will have a lot more free time. Do you have something for her to do in her free time if she cuts back on her softball activities. Most kids would probably fill the free time with tv, facebook or video games. IMO softball is a better outlet.

I always tell every player I coach that playing softball isn't about playing softball. It's about all the life lessons they learn while playing the game called softball. Work ethic, sportsmanship, dealing with pressure, adversity, nerves etc. My attitude as a coach is that most of the girls aren't going to make a living playing softball, but what they learn about themselves while playing can help them make a living doing something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks