To play "A" ball or "B" ball? advise needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
lol... got your point!!

The demographics help too. Talking to one of the coaches at Western Nationals last year from Hunnington Beach (yes I know All-Star Team) he said there were over 3000 playing... well picking the best 12 out of 3000 your gonna end up with a damn good team. We had about 14 show up for our try-outs... Now expand that at least X3... So picking the best 12 out of 10,000 what team could you come up with?

Mar 15, 2010
lol... got your point!!

The demographics help too. Talking to one of the coaches at Western Nationals last year from Hunnington Beach (yes I know All-Star Team) he said there were over 3000 playing... well picking the best 12 out of 3000 your gonna end up with a damn good team. We had about 14 show up for our try-outs... Now expand that at least X3... So picking the best 12 out of 10,000 what team could you come up with?

Don't think 3,000 is quite correct. HBGS is a large league and has about 450 girls. In the area though they are many leagues of similar size so he must have been referring to their district.

May 14, 2008
In my personal opinon, I would recommend moving up to the A team as soon as you can. I chose to stay at the "B" level all the way up to high school, and now I feel like I'm an underdog on my team. I really regret choosing to be "the superstar" in my younger years. I now am trying to make up for all of my lost time in the few years that I have left before college and it's proving to be harder than it sounds. So, to be direct, I would choose to play with the better team now to get the lead in your daugher's future, if she is serious about playing.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Go A, but do your research and go to the best you can find. Not necessarily the team that wins the most games, but the team that works hard and plays the game like they love and respect it. The wins will come from there.

It just killed my daughter to leave her friends and move to another team, but she is a completely different player on the field, and in some ways a different person off of it. It took her like, about, 13 minutes to make new friends, like most girls do. She went from being a "B" player with flashes of talent to a true "A" level player with high aspirations. Her organization really, really pushes good grades, even at 12U...I see the difference in that she's really focused on school as well as softball. Wasn't so much focused on school before!!

"A" level is not just skill level, but attitude and confidence level as well. The right coaches teach the tools for the players to succeed, and then convince them they have the talent to use those skills successfully.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles