Thoughts, opinions and ideas please...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
If I have said it once I have said it 1,000 times simply ask yourself this question is your DD one of the top half (5 or 6) hitters on the team. The season is almost over no need to think about it if stats are kept...in the end I think you will find you answer there. Never met a coach or coached a team myself when I sat one of my top half hitter on the bench over 50% heck they probably won't sit 75% of the time

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Most coaches will trade some defensive ability for a good bat, so you need to ask yourself if your DD is one of the 9 best hitters on the team...

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I would say your daughter is what I call a sponsor.

A sponsor is a player who is on the team to fill the required total number of players needed to make the finances work. In other words, she pays dues to help the starting 9 cover their operating expenses and tournament costs and is there as a back up should the poop hit the fan.

Granted, my assessment is based on the limited info provided and without the benefit of knowing the team/organization.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Again, thank you. I'm in Michigan. Trying hard to stay open-minded knowing there are dynamics and politics surrounding the situation I truly don't understand. Nothing is ever cut and dry. It's nice to know that others out here have some of the same thoughts and I'm not being completely irrational here. For anyone reading this, I will say that your daughter, no matter how good she is should NEVER play up. Give her the time allocated for her age level and watch her dominate, the things that come along when playing with the big kids just aren't worth it.
I disagree. I don't think my dd wanted to dominate. I think she wanted to play the best. She moved up as a 2nd year 12U and never looked back. I guess each to their own.

Jul 18, 2016
'Watching your kid dominate is mostly for your own ego" I should've worded that differently, point well taken. I only meant that a certain level of confidence is taken away from a player when they aren't being given the opportunity to grow. For me, keeping your child in the appropriate age level allows for development in many other areas, not necessarily being the best player. Yes, Samantha Findlay was an exception, if a player is gifted and truly amazing, then yes 'PLAY UP". For the average kid who's hitting/fielding skills are better than average I'd still recommend staying at the appropriated age level while building your athletic character, not just ability. This is only my humble opinion. I appreciate your comments and tend to agree. Thanks for giving this crazy softball momma something to think about. :)

Jun 12, 2015
Mine has been a stand out on most of her teams, to varying degrees. On one she was in the middle. There are benefits to both, and not meaning parent ego. I think they grow faster when they're playing with girls who are roughly equal to them. She has been on teams where she was by far the best player and that was not good. She couldn't throw the ball and have it be caught; couldn't get a decent throw, etc. It was very frustrating for her. Being among the strongest but not by a mile is OK; it builds confidence without slowing them down too much on their growth. I don't think I'd choose a team where she was among the weakest players though. To get better they need to play; I want her in the top 7 ideally. If she's sitting in bracket games and half the pool games she's not going to improve nearly as much as if she's in the starting 7. JMO. We talked about the possibility of 12U early but I fear as a pitcher especially, even a lower level 12U travel team she might not get the reps.

Nov 18, 2013
From the little I know based in your OP I'd say try to stay with that coach as long as you can. He's honest, provides feedback and makes sure your DD gets playing time and some starts. It sounds like a string, competitive organization with ample training opportunities. This is assuming your DD is improving and having fun. If SHE is discouraged about playing time then look at other organizations. Otherwise count your blessings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles