Thoughts on Blocking (BE A WALL!)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Get Your Block On

Get Your Block On Time

ACC catchers "Getting Their Block On" Clips from practice, games and exposure events...

[video=youtube_share;Nx4rOQm3yOE]http://youtu.be/Nx4rOQm3yOE[/video]

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree blocking is the way to go. But then coaches get all caught up in the idea that if you catch the ball in the dirt you can still throw out the runner, so they encourage catchers to glove it instead. Then there are those who just don't insist on it. If you're serious about getting catchers to do it, you have to make blocking table stakes for getting on the field. That usually gets their attention.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I agree with Ken 100%. Blocking is only half of the story. Most catcher exposure events will have catchers block and throw to all bases. Catchers must be able to recover the blocked ball and get the throw off in a timely manner. Coach Weaver's Block and Throw technique allow catchers to recover the blocked ball quickly (with minimal joint stress) and come up throwing. It is great to have catchers (and their parents) as young as 10 years old come in for a catching session and report back how they have been able to throw out runners the previous weekend at a tournament!

[video=youtube_share;gz8uglJW42U]http://youtu.be/gz8uglJW42U[/video]

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
In working with one of my catchers this evening they taught me a new method to practice their blocking.... They knew they had a lesson coming up and wanted to prepare for it. We had already discussed areas to focus on at home and practice so she decided to practice blocking on her bed! Obviously she did not need her gear for this and focused on the areas we had discussed at our last session. Should you choose to practice your blocking skills on your bed, discuss it with your parents and be safe. Always choose to practice though! :)

Chaz @ ACC

Dec 19, 2012
Much easier on the body. Never thought of that. I would suggest if you have the room maybe put the mattress on the floor....much safer that way.

chazbz1.....if you click on my link below my signature, you will see my daughter blocking in game situations. If you get a chance please watch it and PM me if you see any glaring flaws. I taught her how to catch but it's always good to get the advice of another set of eyes. Thanks in advance.

Len

Sep 14, 2009
I am in total agreement that you have to forget catching the ones in the dirt, Hardest habit to break in a young catcher, especially if they have a quick glove. In all honesty, if she blocks it properly and keeps it in front of her, she will still get some runners stealing. Seen a lot of girls decide to steal as soon as they see the ball in the dirt, so not a good jump. If catcher kept the ball in front of her, she still has an excellent chance at getting the runner that made that last second decision to go. Practicing with tennis balls and no glove on is a good way to help break the habit of trying to glove ones in the dirt. Like anything else, once they trust their ability to block, they will get better and better

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
OPS, Vinci has a similar trainer that we use with our catchers. When we ask incoming catchers what they want to get better at, blocking is at the top of the list. We have worked on a set drill progressions that start with rolling the ball into the catcher. Before we work the drill, we spend time teaching the proper blocking technique and go over the skill sets required to get to the block position. Once the catcher demonstrates they understand and can use the proper technique, we start with the rolling ball drill. As the catcher gains confidence, we roll the ball in faster. We work towards bouncing the ball into them and have them use the proper blocking technique. Ultimately, live pitching is the best trainer for blocking. But it is extremely important the catcher know what to do when they face a pitch in the dirt and drill on it in addition to live pitches.

[video=youtube_share;AcD6EzIrxik]http://youtu.be/AcD6EzIrxik[/video]

Chaz @ ACC

Nov 29, 2009
Chaz,

You posted a great video a short while back about not having the tops of the toes facing down on a tag play at the plate. What are your feelings when dropping and blocking for a pitch? Toes down or pointed backwards? The girl in the video at the 37 second mark has her toes pointed backwards on a pitch block. Do you make a distinction between the two with your catchers?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
S.G.
The video you are referring to,"Get Your Block On" was uploaded in January of 2012. This video showcases ACC catchers blocking at lessons, exposure events and games. At that time we did not place the emphasis on what catchers did with their toes as they blocked. Buster Posey's ankle break and having one of my catchers in up in the same scenario led us to focus on methods catchers could utilize to avoid this type of ankle injury. So we did our homework and created "Catchers Stay Off Your Toenails" This was shortened to "Catchers Stay Off Your Toes" and focuses on Buster Posey's 2011 season ending Ankle injury. Our goal is to have the catcher stay on their toes rather the tops of feet as they block. The goal being as they practice this technique, they will land on their toes anytime they drop to their knees.

I spend a lot of my free time researching newer, safer, and more effective methods for catchers to get their job done. So you will see various techniques in various videos as we roll out new information. I hope this addresses your question. Thanks for asking.
-Chaz

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1