Thirdbase Bunt Coverage Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
12U Rec Softball - ASA Rules

I have a question about how far forward a third baseman can play on bunt coverage. I have an assistant coach who swears that they can't pass the pitchers mound when playing bunt defense. I tried looking up the rule (ASA rulebook) but couldn't find it spelled out anywhere, only that the fielders must be in fair territory before the pitch.

My team tends to bunt a lot and the other teams like to play their third basemen extremely close (in front of the pitchers mound).

From a strategic standpoint I don't really care, but from a safety issue I don't like it. The girls do not wear masks and I do not want to see anyone get hurt.

I only have a few girls that are coordinated to pull the bunt back and smoke it, but I tell them not to do it as this is Rec and I am not looking to get anyone hurt.

If there is such a rule I could approach the commissioner with my concerns and cite the rule. I have mentioned this to the other coaches but they don't seem to have an issue with it. I don't think they understand my girls can pull the bunt back and hit/slap it.

Thanks,

Brad

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Can't they play anywhere so long as they do not interfere with the batter's attempt to bunt? E.g. be practically in line with the pitch so the batter can't see it....

Only other thoughts are why wouldn't the 3rd baseman be wearing a mask if they are going to play that close, given your rules? And what are typical rec rules with regards to pulling back and swinging? Do a lot of rec leagues not allow this for safety reasons?

Jun 22, 2008
There is no rule about how close they can get, other than they cannot interfere with the batters view of the pitcher. Granted it wasnt rec, was club ball, but I have seen F5's try and get within 10'-15' of my daughter when she was at bat. She was a fairly small left slapper and they would just assume all she could do was bunt. They usually got the hint pretty quick they shouldnt be that close.

Jul 28, 2008
Only rule for placement is on the pitcher and catcher. All others must be in fair territory at the pitch.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
12U Rec Softball - ASA Rules

I have a question about how far forward a third baseman can play on bunt coverage. I have an assistant coach who swears that they can't pass the pitchers mound when playing bunt defense. I tried looking up the rule (ASA rulebook) but couldn't find it spelled out anywhere

You can find it right next to the ASA rule that notes the maximum height of the pitcher's mound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad