Third baseman backs into runner.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Rec ball. Runner going to 2nd, overthrow ball into short center. I bring her to 3rd, throw on its way and I see its off line towards home plate side, I wave her on to home. 3rd in attempt to field thrown ball backs toward foul territory and toward home. Runner make contact altering her path. field Ump throws arm for interferance, catcher catches throw from 3rd baseman who did block ball and makes throw, home ump calls runner out on tag and then reverses for field ump call. Was this correct? I know on a batted ball fielder has right away and runner is out upon contact with fielding defeseman. How does the rules apply to thrown balls. I know that runner cannot purposly interfer with ball in flight etc. I am not sure when feilding throw contact is made with runner trying to progress to next base.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Did the third baseman alter the runner's path before she gained possession of the ball? That would be obstruction, not interference. Obstruction is signaled by the left arm held out with a fist.

Runners running the bases have the right of way, except when the fielder is fielding a batted ball or actually has possession of the ball. Fielders just trying to get to a thrown ball may not impede the runner's right to run the bases.

If the umpire judges that the obstructed runner would have safely reached home, minus the obstruction, then the runner is awarded home after she is tagged out.

It sounds like the right call was made here.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
Thanks and sorry for using wrong word. On an obstruction is it always that the umps decision as to wether the runner would reach safely before they raise the arm. I know if they have the ball different rules apply but I just want to clarify about receiving a throw.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
The right thing for the ump is to call/signal OBS every time they see it. 95% of the time no bases will be awarded, but it should be called 100% of the time - never ignore it.

So to answer your question ---- "is it always that the umps decision as to wether the runner would reach safely before they raise the arm" ... no, they call OBS as soon as it happens, then when the play is over award bases if needed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2014
field Ump throws arm for interferance,

Field ump throws arm to the side for obstruction, not interference.
Big difference.
It is quite common to hear a coach say, "Hey blue--the short stop interfered with my runner!!"
I usually educate the coach ( nicely) that it is obstruction that he is referring to.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
On an obstruction is it always that the umps decision as to wether the runner would reach safely before they raise the arm. I know if they have the ball different rules apply but I just want to clarify about receiving a throw.

This is a false statement. OBS is obstruction, period, whether the umpire believes they would have been safe or not.

Except in NCAA, receiving a throw is irrelevant. If the fielder doesn't have possession of the ball, she cannot affect the runner in any manner.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar