Things You Wish You Had Spent More Time On At Practice...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
Softball has a way of revealing your coaching flaws at the worst possible moment. And I've always believed if you're not giving lessons on the softball field you're probably getting them.

There are two things that came up earlier in my coaching career that I realized I had not spent nearly enough time on. First, rundowns. When it happened we were on defense and I thought we had worked on it enough and it became apparent that was not the case. It was in the game's final inning and our indecision wound up costing us the game. My fault, not the players. I should have included it in my practice plans (including the offensive side).

Second, the international tie breaker. We lucked out on this one but it happened at a time when we had not worked on it at all during practice, offensively or defensively. We figured out that two is better than one.

We've also had some issues on bunt coverage (shifts) but that was due more to new players being plugged into the infield and also a basic change in philosophy.

Coaches, have you ever found yourselves being "schooled" on the field during a situation you failed to prepare for? If so, please describe the situation so we can all learn from our collective mistakes!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
As a coach I wish I'd spent more time teaching the game "inside" the game. I tried every chance I could to involve the girls in "why" we do this why we do that. Action, reaction. Even if you were sitting the bench, I wanted you to tell me what you see.....what would you do and why.

I grew up watching my father play, my elder brother of ten years play through college, following his lead in my years playing, and watching my oldest nephew play college now. All that gathered information ( good and bad ) and instruction I wanted to pour into my girls. Even though I took every opportunity to do so, I still feel I should have done more.

I realize it may not be a "practice" skill that you're asking in your thread, but I feel it is the most underrated and important skill we can pass on to our players. And should be "practiced" often as we can as coaches. There is a HUGE difference in having the physical skills to play this game and acquiring the mental capacity to understand it to the next level.

For myself I'm still a student of the game, I've seen a lot in my time. But I still learn something each and every season, and I enjoy that education. :)

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Run downs! I got schooled last Sunday..we worked on a pick off play at 3rd for several practices but never extended to the eventuality of a run down occurring. Girl got caught in a run down and my team was unprepared for it. Runner scored because of a bad decision and a bad throw. Guess what we'll be doing at the next practice?:p

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Off the top of my head there are tons of things I am trying to build to with my 10U group. It has become a common answer to parents and others when a bad play is made based on a player decision that led to runs allowed or extra bases gained that, "we have not taught that yet". There is so much to teach all the time. All I can do is work at the pace in which the girls learn it. Some days this is fast and others....slower than expected. We teach, we play, we observe, we learn, we teach more..and the cycle continues.

Jan 31, 2011
Defending the squeeze play. We (mainly me) looked like a fool about 6 weeks ago. Now I have at least a strategy.

Also, working on the cut from the outfield. I'm talking about outfielders throwing home for a play at the plate and the catcher calling the throw off. In our case, the pitcher cutting it trying to get the batter-runner out between bases...

Mar 8, 2012
Nice list Oswego. Thanks. That made me think about the intentional walk. We were reminded that we had never practiced this, in a must win game in the Babe Ruth World Series this year.

Up one run in the sixth inning with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd . We call time, since we didn't have a sign for it, and talk the pitcher and catcher through the IBB. First they think we are crazy for wanting to walk the girl, second they still don't understand how to do it. Needless to say, the pitcher tried way to hard to throw an outside pitch and managed to overthrow the catcher. Run scores and pretty much deflates the team. Worse yet, the next batter hits the very top of the first pitch and basically bunts. Yes, the nearly perfect step on the plate and throw to first double play.

So rarely used, but when you need it, you really, really need it.

Jan 13, 2011
I was surprised when we first worked on tagging at 2nd and 3rd on fly balls. At least half the girls had no idea (14 U travel team). It is so painful to watch a girl get doubled up a third when she could have scored if she tagged. This is one of those simple things that we figure we can talk the girls through when the situation comes up. It does not take long to work on and results in extra bases, runs, and fewer double plays. Another situation that always seems to come up at the worst time if they are not prepared beforehand.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Really, no one has admitted to not working with their catchers enough. #1 area with a lack of training on most team. In the earlier years it leads to all sorts of runs due to dropped 3rd strikes, passed balls and errant throws. A poorly trained catcher will impact the game far more often then a botched run down play will.

I will admit to not working with my catchers enough. I didn't really start working with them on a regular basis until I had been coaching for a few years and I realized just how many runs we gave up from that position.