The slap bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Yes, I am aware that this does not exist. Drag bunt, slap bunt, what ever names there are for a slapper who bunts. Getting really frustrating lately. 2 strikes, and the slapper sticks her bat out and runs through the zone. Foul ball on strike 2. Have had two different umpire sets in the past two tournaments call the same thing against the same team, same girl. 2 strikes and she no longer tries to slap. She tries to just put it in play via stabbing at the ball. Latest umpire set used the "if it was a check swing on a right handed batter, would you think it was a bunt?" excuse. Well, she "check swung" on 4 pitches in a row. PU went so far as to say that I could instruct my slappers to stick the bat out and run through the zone and it wouldn't be a bunt attempt. For all the grief we give the blues on here sometimes, I really wish I could play a tournament with yall calling the game. Would be a refreshing change to the norm.

Jun 22, 2008
Have you attempted to talk to the tournament UIC? Sounds to me like there needs to be some umpires that need to have a little additional instruction as to what constitutes a bunt vs a swing. And again, remove slap bunt from your vocabulary. If you use the term, especially when speaking with these umpires who do not appear to know the difference you are only fueling the fire because of the inclusion of the word "slap". It is a drag bunt and and I would use that term when speaking with the umpire.

Jul 6, 2013
Bad thing is it was two different sanctioning bodies' state tournaments. Totally different crews. Between innings, I talked to the crew to get clarification on why they didn't consider it a bunt. PU is the one who used the term slap bunt. I suggested he forget that term since it doesn't exist. I've been reading here too much. Lol.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Had this very thing happen last night...right handed batter attempted a "slap bunt" with two strikes and fouled it off. PU called her out on the bunt attempt. I argued that it is no different than a slap attempt from the left side. She conferred with the field ump and they returned with the out call, saying the player had "separated her hands as if to bunt the ball" and it didn't matter that she had broken her wrists in a clear slap attempt. Never mind that her hands were together right at the point where the barrel of the bat starts.

Jul 6, 2013
Curious as to what age group this is?

14U

Scotty, I'm not sure I'm following you. What you are describing is a bunt. Hands together right where the barrel starts? You even call it a "slap bunt"...which doesn't exist, but I digress...was she attempting to swing to put the ball in play, or was she attempting to tap the ball into the field of play? From everything you are saying, it sounds like the latter. Bunt attempt, foul on 2 strikes, batter out. Glad to see one ump set getting it right.

Mar 2, 2013
Stop worrying about where the hands are. I can slap the hell out of the ball with my hands separated. It's not relevant. Look at the action of the bat itself.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
14U

Scotty, I'm not sure I'm following you. What you are describing is a bunt. Hands together right where the barrel starts? You even call it a "slap bunt"...which doesn't exist, but I digress...was she attempting to swing to put the ball in play, or was she attempting to tap the ball into the field of play? From everything you are saying, it sounds like the latter. Bunt attempt, foul on 2 strikes, batter out. Glad to see one ump set getting it right.

She broke her wrists in a clear slap attempt, while moving her feet through the box. Same thing a slapper would do, but from the right side.

Mar 2, 2013
Slap Hit vs. Slap Bunt Guidelines

Disclaimer: Always use proper terminology. The terms “slap hit” and “slap bunt” do not appear in all rule books. Under those rule sets, adhere to the strict terminology of the rule book and refer to them as either a “bunt” or a “hit.”

The following are guidelines. The presence of one of the following does not necessarily dictate the proper call. Consider all of the guidelines together.

1. If you are not sure whether it’s a slap hit or a slap bunt, call it a (slap) hit.

2. If the bat is moving faster forward than the batter, call it a (slap) hit. 

3. If there is aggression from the bat to the ball, call it a (slap) hit.

4. If there is a driving force through the strike zone from the bat to the ball with a follow through with the bat past the body, call it a (slap) hit.

5. If there is a noticeable open hip turn into the ball on the follow-through of the swing, it is likely a (slap) hit.

6. If there is a passive placing of the ball from the bat, call it a (slap) bunt.

7. If the ball is intentionally tapped slowly with the bat, call it a (slap) bunt. 

8. If the ball is not swung at but intentionally tapped or placed, call it a (slap) bunt.

9. If the batter’s hands stop in front of the body or pull back from the ball at the contact point, call it a (slap) bunt.

Hard slaps, soft slaps. Hard slap hits and soft slap hits look different. Generally, the farther the hands slide up on the bat, the softer the slap. However, do not confuse a soft slap hit with a slap bunt.

Width between the batter’s hands. Do not be duped into calling a slap bunt based on the width between the batter’s hands on the bat. Separated hands can indicate a potential slap bunt, but Hall of Fame baseball player Ty Cobb obtained many of his 4,189 hits with aggressive attacks on the ball while his hands were placed as much as 12 inches apart on the bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207