The ride looks like it is over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I suspect my daughters will stay involved in the game after college, so I'll go along for the ride. I will also go back and coach rec or LL to give back to the group that gave them their start. I think it's important to give back to the younger generation.

I would also like to start playing golf again. Since 2014, I've played all of one round. I used to play 12-15 rounds per year, maybe more if my buddies did a trip, but softball takes up the five hours I used to set aside for a round of 18 holes. I used to suck at golf. I can only imagine how bad I am now...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Golf is my back again hobby. I decided it is me time and want to focus on getting back to where I was playing pre softball. I just started my first attempt and making wine. We just bought a pickle ball net and rolled out to the cul de sac when we play. I am travelling to see Widespread Panic. I was supposed to be in Milwaukee tomorrow for this weekend's run but my friends flaked on me and those tix are the hardest to get.

Had a call today from a younger softball dad about recruiting.

Jan 22, 2011
I'm umpiring some and volunteering on the local metro staff. I confess the strike zone I currently call is a little high in most people's minds but is slightly lower than the rulebook strike zone. I'm working on lowering the top of my zone.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Similar situation for me. Last travel travel tournament was in June. Daughters off to college, and more time than I know what to do with.

My case was easier. I played a ton of golf growing up, but had barely played the last decade, and not at all the last 3 years. Decided to build a new setup from scratch, and jump back into golf. Fitted for irons last weekend, and doing driver/3W/wedges this weekend. Only club staying with me is my putter that I've used since high school (long time ago...)
I play every day. Sometimes I play 27. My dd is really good as well and her husband played collegiate golf. We play in scrambles all summer long.

Nov 4, 2015
You sound like me. I worry about being liked too much.

And umpiring would sound fun if the parents weren't such jerks.
Umpired a few years in my middle 20's. Enjoyed it most days. Realized it was easier to call the good teams. Be consistent behind the plate and you wont hear much. Inconsistency on the strike zone gets you killed. Thought about calling games again. Had an ump in Super regionals (part of our state tournament) in a 3 man crew call a runner out and our first baseman was 2 feet off the bag when she caught it. Got the force at home and on the throw to first, she knew the girl would be safe and just stepped away from the bag to catch it. Dont get how umps miss these calls. Home plate ump didn't even wait on the coach to ask. Just went straight to the 1ST base ump and talked to him and got the call right. Said he didn't have to wait on a coach to ask if the call was egregious. Never seen an ump break the protocall before. Glad they got it right even though it went against us. Same ump didn't even want to talk to our coach the next day when it looked like he missed a call. Just issued a warning and walked away. We need more good umpires. Don't think i'll join that crowd. Ha

Nov 4, 2015
If you love the sport and the game, why is it over? there's HUGE demand for coaches who don't have a kid on the team.

Plenty of opportunities to stay involved, someone else mentioned umpiring.

The game needs good people. I hope you stay involved somehow. It might not be the same as it was with your own DD but, you can still help others.
Game needs good people. Can't say i've always been the best fan towards some umpires. Still pretty fresh and trying to figure out what i may do.

Nov 4, 2015
I'm umpiring some and volunteering on the local metro staff. I confess the strike zone I currently call is a little high in most people's minds but is slightly lower than the rulebook strike zone. I'm working on lowering the top of my zone.
If it's consistent, you wont hear much. You may hear it early, but they will slack off when they see it called constantly.

May 20, 2015
someday i will start fly fishing again - huge overlap with softball, so it went from 100 days a year before kids to 60-65 days a year after kids to once a year if I'm lucky with softball

eldest is a soph in college, middle is a senior in HS.......looks like I am "coaching" their 18+ team this year, and will be working with the HS team, so there's still some tread left on my tires

the youngest (9) says she's going to give softball another whirl this spring, so who knows

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I did the same with our local rec league. Did about 35 games or so last season. My strike zone was lower than batters like, but pitchers didn't seem to complain. I'm going to try to bring it up 1 ball next season any hopefully I'll make more people happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad