The numbers are down for baseball and softball sign-ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In the last few years, it's seemed like fewer and fewer kids have been going to tryouts, and teams have had to compete harder for the kids who did come out. I know of several programs (including the one I've been associated with for the last 14 years) that have had to fold teams, or that maybe took a couple of players they normally wouldn't have just to be able to play.

But I thought maybe it was just an isolated program here or there. Turns out it's not. I saw this article this morning in my local newspaper. It talks about how the numbers are down all across the area, and how that is part of a larger trend.

The culprit? For once it isn't coaches who yell at the kids or anything like that. Instead, according to the article, the #1 reason is video games. Kids are opting to stay indoors and play video games rather than go outside and play sports.

There are a couple of reasons listed. One, of course, is the general sedentary nature of kids these days. Between texting, mp3 players, computers, etc. they're just a lot more oriented toward sitting and playing with electronics than getting up and moving around.

But video games have had another effect too. According to the article, and the experts it quotes, the nature of video games have made real sports less appealing to today's youngsters. Video games are relatively easy to learn, and offer instant gratification -- as opposed to softball which can take years for most kids to just become competent.

They simply don't have the patience for the constant repetition required to learn how to play softball. Throw in "cheat codes" in games that allow them to overcome their shortcomings by getting past obstacles and you can see where there's a disconnect. There aren't any cheat codes in softball.

The article says the younger ages -- under 10U -- are not being affected as much. But once kids get to the age where they have iPods, smart phones, maybe even their own laptops, and of course a choice of gaming consoles -- the 10U to 14U range -- the numbers drop off dramatically. And it's even affecting high school sports, as fewer kids are going out for them and often the ones who are don't have their skills developed quite as well as those of a few years ago.

So if you feel like your travel team or league has been struggling, you're not alone. Apparently it's happening all over.

More...

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I'm glad I clicked here to read this, because I definitely agree with you. Unfortunately, due to video games and such, I do think that people are coming less active. Food is readily available as well and adding overeating to inactivity is feeding (no pun intended) our obesity crisis.

Personally, I've lived the majority of my life in a house with only one television. We've recently added another, which is nice, however when the weather gets bad I do have a feeling that it will remain off while we are outside. I love being outside. We got a Wii two years ago and we rarely play it, honestly. None of us are into video games, it was a gift from our grandmother.

Jan 15, 2009
Story is tough to take as more than opinion. Could be very area specific and have more to due with population flux than lack of participation. In MN we're exploding with new teams and organizations ( at the cost of community ball at 16U/18U ) atrophying. I know our HS seems to add a new sport every year and they fill them. This year they added trap shooting as a HS sport and they were excited becuase they feel this is engaging a new group of kids who weren't engaged in other HS Sports. We've added Lacrosse teams (boys and girls) in the last few years and participation is growing to support sub-Varsity teams for those sports as well as continuing to have 5 teams for both baseball and softball (two 9th grade teams, B-Squad, JV and Varsity). Sedentary kids is a parenting issue. 30 years ago it was comic books hurting our kids. 20 years ago it was TV turning us into zombie. You either raise active healthy kids or you don't. Economy definitely plays a part in opportunity. Our city has cut back significantly on what they provide for "free". More and more activities have added fees to cover things that used to be supplied for free.

I do think there is a case to be made that economically it's becoming more difficult to make good choices for our kids. The same way it's cheaper to buy and eat unhealthy food than healthy food, it's cheaper to watch a baseball game on TV than pay for travel ball.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Probably could be more area specific, however... I do know of a lot of people who are having this issue.

You do provide some good points, which are great things for me to think about with this issue.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Could be area-specific, but I've been hearing from folks from other areas that they are having the same problems. Your area in MN could be the exception. Which is good for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi