The Man A Girl Looks Up To

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
This is my last year in the 14 & under league. Our team went to the championship game. We got 2nd place :) as my dad was calling each girl to recieve her medal we walked up and hugged all the coaches. My dad saw as he got closer to me I would cry harder. he called my name and I started sobbing. He ended up crying too and whispered in my ear that I had a great season and he's very proud of me. The sight of us hugging and crying sent many fans and the other coaches into tears. Everyone there knew the situation. Yesterday, we had a pool party, picnic, and a father vs. daughter softball game. the parents won 19-18. We give out a team mvp for the season. the girls vote. and they voted for me. the mvp gets a trophy. As dad was leading up to the mvp, he said that he's coached me for 10 years and has seen me develop my skills and this is the last year he can coach me. as he was speaking he was getting teary eyed, and so was i. I walked up to recieve the trophy and thank my teammates, and everyone sprayed me with silly string :) but this man I call dad, who doesnt cry about anything, cried when he was sharing memories and said goodbye to the girls leaving.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Congrats on the MVP. But that is nothing compared to the gift/award of a loving father. I don't think there is a better way to spend time together than through sports, it keeps you in shape and us dad's young at heart.

Good luck in your future.

GD

Jun 7, 2010
You have a wonderful father and he a wonderful daughter. These moments are the ones that will stay with us forever. All us fathers want, is to see our children happy and if succeding on the softball field is what brings that happiness then it has been worth the journey. I bet if you were to hug him really big you would see those same crocodile tears. The tears appear becauase we love our daughters more than you can even imagine. With or without softball. Thanks for the post.

Mar 13, 2010
Congrats on the story!

My club when I was younger used to have 'club person of the year' and 'junior club person of the year.' It was my family's club. (my grandfather started it, my grandma was the treasurer/sectary, my mum played in the top woman's side and coached the men's) and my family pretty much ran it) The year I won the junior club person of the year award, my grandfather tried to announce it (always done with a speech about what that person has done) he started to cry, so handed it off to the vice president, my mother! She cried and they ended up just announcing my name, as half the board was my family and the other half had known me since I was born so they were in similar states. (once my grandfather started to cry, everyone pretty much knew who had won anyways)

Jul 1, 2010
Great story. I`ve spent 23 yrs. coaching 4 daughters and its been something that we can share. Just remember when your
playing days are done find something else to share together.

Jun 1, 2010
I've three daughters who play ball. My youngest is 5 and is starting Tee-Ball this fall, while the middle DD plays 8U. My oldest DD is 12 and this season I have the honor as well as pleasure as Head Coaching her 12U team. I can only hope for the love, happiness, and memories you and father have created together. Congrats on the career the two of you have created and best of luck with your future seasons.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I have coached my older DD for the past 3 years. My younger
is a rec-only player. I will be coaching her in the spring and I can't wait.
She is very excited, but probably not as much as me. (I can't let her know it)

The #1 reason I am coaching her is because I promised her. #2, she has played rec the last
2 years and the coaching has been real bad-even for rec. Some of the families have found out I am
moving back to 10U rec and they all want their dd's on my team. A couple are staying in our program
because I will be taking a team. This makes me feel as good as a coach can.

BTW- older DD will be my assistant as she will be playing travel only in 2011. I will probably ask wife
to be dugout mom since we are softball junkies

Dec 15, 2009
haha well.....everyone around here has to do community service for so many hours as a senior project. i am going to help out with the 14 & under team. those are my girls. we are like a family and have been playing together forever. I can't leave them hanging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan